Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyc1216

Best priced schip laurel

nyc1216
10 years ago

I am looking to create a natural barrier between my house and the one in back of me. I am looking for about 20 schip laurels to put in a shaded area. Does anyone know of a place with good prices in central NJ or online places that deliver?

Comments (9)

• Birdsong72
    10 years ago

And if you reallly, positively have to have them. Go to Lanidex Nursery in Howell, or Bulk's in Freehold.

• agardenstateof_mind
    10 years ago

It needed to be said, Birdsong; thank you. Certainly a mixed hedge vs. the monoculture of a solid wall of anything is not only more attractive, but is more resistant to decimation by disease or insects, will support a greater diversity of wildlife (which we can enjoy), and can provide an ever-changing tapestry of interest throughout the seasons.

Your yard looks delightful.

A fellow Monmouth County resident here.

• Birdsong72
    10 years ago

Thanks as I don't mean to be harsh, and one's pocketbook also comes into play here. Plus the fact that it's May and as a 'birder', I can't even take time off from my wretched job to do one of my passions (and spring migration isn't a forever thing - it's but a 5 week window)

As it's not the poster's front yard (it's the back), this can be done in stages if money's tight, but those cultivars aren't cheap when one want's that 'instant' effect. Natives such as viburnums, aronia, ilex glabra, clethras, cost about the same price - and offer the homeowner fragrance, flowers, great fall color, and a spread that is equal to that of laurels or leylands (which grow taller than broader).

Sure hope that the OP pauses and reassess their options. Just wish that most folks who have their own homes spent as much time knowing, understanding and learning all that is out there - to create a beautiful environment as they do the inside of their home.

• baskingridgegirl
    10 years ago

Birdsong67 your backyard looks beautiful. I will chime in and say that I just planted a first layer of privacy on both sides of my property and am doing it in stages due to expense. I chose zone 6 hardy camellias and while they take a long time to grow, will give blooms and variety of color, plus Camellias are evergreen and actually do well in part shade and give bloom as early as February depending on what type you get. I got a wholesale price on mine doing a large order together with other neighbors. I will then layer in Limelight Hydrangeas (after I go through this season to verify that deer aren't eating them here). I agree doing a hedge with just one type of plant is boring, though it's not a bad idea to have some symmetry or start with an evergreen foundation. Skip laurels are OK, but you can also use Manhattan Euyonymous which is a pretty fast grower, tons of different Rhododendrons (if you have shade), and summer bloomers like roses or hydrangeas. I'm a huge hydrangea fan and so far, the deer haven't touched mine here. Fingers crossed.

This post was edited by BaskingRidgeGirl on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 13:38

• Birdsong72
    10 years ago

Thank's Basking Ridge. The pic is actually a pic of my front yard (side view). If you look again, there's a row of my neighbors row of emerald green arbovitae in the background that have taken off (after my 80' red oak went down 5 years ago). My backyard is fairly similar. There's a bit more lawn in the back for parties, etc but the corners are deeply wooded with the edges (property back line and edge along my deck also being naturalized and while a bit more narrow, is far from being 'linear').

The OP is from CNJ and that could be anywhere from Somerset County (and their red clay) to Middlesex/Monmouth County with sandy loam so plant choice is critical in ensuring success. One does not need a landscaper (99% of them employ the same plant usage if they're doing a property in Basking Ridge or in Metuchen). Becoming a student of horticulture is 'key'. If your home is in a shady neighborhood with tall oaks, I'd suggest Dirr's book on Shade Plants. If it's in full sun (formerly farmland), you have an amazingly amount of latitude in terms of plant variety - and yet you can still create a planting that will provide a needed 'buffer' to a neighbors property yet provide you with far more satisfaction than a living fence.

The plant stock inventory available to us in NJ is pretty decent. Start by putting in some shade trees and flowering ornamental trees. That will anchor the 'scheme'. Then the rest of the canvas is your.

In my mind, a project like this can be done in stages. Once one completes a planting that has a combination of herbaceous plants, small flowering trees, natives and ornamentals, will one see the landscape come alive - in color, dynamic of composition, springscape all the way to winterscape and the attendant wildlife that will use your property.

Don't sell yourself short as to thinking you don't have the creativity nor imagination to do something wonderful.

• Raf T
    6 years ago

Birdsong, your yard looks great. I just moved to Hunterdon County. I'm on 6 acres of mostly wooded shaded property. I love your idea of creating texture and variety. Right now everything is mostly natural growth of just green tall trees and those bushes with thorns everywhere. My immediate goal is to block the view of my neighbors house that can be seen out of our sunroom and to block it's view coming up the driveway but creating a scenic landscape as well. Both areas are shady and want something that will keep leaves year round. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• psilva81
    3 years ago

Birdsong that looks great and the ton of deer I have in my area would love it as well.

• psilva81
    3 years ago

Wish there was more to choose from that the deer didn’t eat. This year they even chomped away at half of a 7 ft American holly.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting