Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best priced schip laurel

Posted by nyc1216 none (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 20:44

I am looking to create a natural barrier between my house and the one in back of me. I am looking for about 20 schip laurels to put in a shaded area. Does anyone know of a place with good prices in central NJ or online places that deliver?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best priced schip laurel

Oh brother and readers, please forgive me, including you NYC. I'm native NJ and the more time I spend here, the more I see these horticultural abortions. Why? Why do another myopic landscaping project that entails a singular mass planting (all in a row no less - and which is all too common - it's pedestrian, and it's UGLY)?. Is it because it's easy? The Martz's down the street did it? Or do you have no interest nor want to know of the alternatives? I've long since come to the realization that most Americans are clueless when it comes to gardening, the environment, or really understanding nature..

Emerald green arbovitaes, leyland cypress, sheep laurels - all cheap fast growers that are brought to the market (for that quick fix and wierd American gestalt as to outdoor living) - let's build a wall, a linear wall that is so unnatural, so fabricated that it might as well be fake laurels, or fake arboritaes -- they do nothing for the environment, but we don't need to see the Sullivan family. We have our Ipods, and let's continue to insulate ourselves from everyone - including our neighbors.

I can piss off of my front porch in broad daylight (and have done so when nature has called and I've been working outdoors and don't want to come indoors dirty from gardening) with this 'natural fence' - the area to the left (in this pic) bordering the street - we have no sidewalks and it varies in depth from 12-20'. I also live in populous Monmouth County and not some Salem County backwater town with a population of 1,200. The solitude, the privacy, yet access should a neighbor or a walker want to say something should I be relaxing on my front porch reading or relaxing is still there.

Think about what you do on your property - and look at it from more than the perspective of your own myopic footprint. A linear mass planting which we've seen time and time again ad nauseum is bloody awful. Please answer this question -elf - is that attractive? I guess I must be one of those weired ones who find it much more rewarding to look at a variety of textures in the garden, colors, leaf shape, flowering, different dynamics as to size and shape of plants, the birds that use the habitat and the enjoyment that such an environment brings to the soul - well when I see a cookie cutter, let's get it done in one day approach, well, plain and simply, we're doomed.

o

And if you reallly, positively have to have them. Go to Lanidex Nursery in Howell, or Bulk's in Freehold.

o

It needed to be said, Birdsong; thank you. Certainly a mixed hedge vs. the monoculture of a solid wall of anything is not only more attractive, but is more resistant to decimation by disease or insects, will support a greater diversity of wildlife (which we can enjoy), and can provide an ever-changing tapestry of interest throughout the seasons.

Your yard looks delightful.

A fellow Monmouth County resident here.

o

Thanks as I don't mean to be harsh, and one's pocketbook also comes into play here. Plus the fact that it's May and as a 'birder', I can't even take time off from my wretched job to do one of my passions (and spring migration isn't a forever thing - it's but a 5 week window)

As it's not the poster's front yard (it's the back), this can be done in stages if money's tight, but those cultivars aren't cheap when one want's that 'instant' effect. Natives such as viburnums, aronia, ilex glabra, clethras, cost about the same price - and offer the homeowner fragrance, flowers, great fall color, and a spread that is equal to that of laurels or leylands (which grow taller than broader).

Sure hope that the OP pauses and reassess their options. Just wish that most folks who have their own homes spent as much time knowing, understanding and learning all that is out there - to create a beautiful environment as they do the inside of their home.

o

Birdsong67 your backyard looks beautiful. I will chime in and say that I just planted a first layer of privacy on both sides of my property and am doing it in stages due to expense. I chose zone 6 hardy camellias and while they take a long time to grow, will give blooms and variety of color, plus Camellias are evergreen and actually do well in part shade and give bloom as early as February depending on what type you get. I got a wholesale price on mine doing a large order together with other neighbors. I will then layer in Limelight Hydrangeas (after I go through this season to verify that deer aren't eating them here). I agree doing a hedge with just one type of plant is boring, though it's not a bad idea to have some symmetry or start with an evergreen foundation. Skip laurels are OK, but you can also use Manhattan Euyonymous which is a pretty fast grower, tons of different Rhododendrons (if you have shade), and summer bloomers like roses or hydrangeas. I'm a huge hydrangea fan and so far, the deer haven't touched mine here. Fingers crossed.

This post was edited by BaskingRidgeGirl on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 13:38

o

Thank's Basking Ridge. The pic is actually a pic of my front yard (side view). If you look again, there's a row of my neighbors row of emerald green arbovitae in the background that have taken off (after my 80' red oak went down 5 years ago). My backyard is fairly similar. There's a bit more lawn in the back for parties, etc but the corners are deeply wooded with the edges (property back line and edge along my deck also being naturalized and while a bit more narrow, is far from being 'linear').

The OP is from CNJ and that could be anywhere from Somerset County (and their red clay) to Middlesex/Monmouth County with sandy loam so plant choice is critical in ensuring success. One does not need a landscaper (99% of them employ the same plant usage if they're doing a property in Basking Ridge or in Metuchen). Becoming a student of horticulture is 'key'. If your home is in a shady neighborhood with tall oaks, I'd suggest Dirr's book on Shade Plants. If it's in full sun (formerly farmland), you have an amazingly amount of latitude in terms of plant variety - and yet you can still create a planting that will provide a needed 'buffer' to a neighbors property yet provide you with far more satisfaction than a living fence.

The plant stock inventory available to us in NJ is pretty decent. Start by putting in some shade trees and flowering ornamental trees. That will anchor the 'scheme'. Then the rest of the canvas is your.

In my mind, a project like this can be done in stages. Once one completes a planting that has a combination of herbaceous plants, small flowering trees, natives and ornamentals, will one see the landscape come alive - in color, dynamic of composition, springscape all the way to winterscape and the attendant wildlife that will use your property.

Don't sell yourself short as to thinking you don't have the creativity nor imagination to do something wonderful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here