Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good place to buy shrubs cheap

Posted by cat4554 Z6NJ (My Page) on
Sun, May 14, 06 at 21:14

I need a lot of work done on my front lawn and I have do it by myself, well, husband included. We needed a new sewer and the whole front was torn apart. God, I wanted to cry. 15 years of gardening down the drain.
Anyway - I am interested in a ground cover that spreads, I have a new retaining wall and was thinking of some type of juniper. Any ideas / suggestions? I am going to need at least 10 so I need a place where the more I buy the cheaper the price.

I want to purchase a butterfly bush, dwarf wheeping cherry, dwarf Japanese maple, skip laurel, andromeda, black eyed susans, purple cone flower, and a variety of hostas.

Where can I get these? I live in Edison, NJ - central Jersey.

I want some evergreens too - any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good place to buy shrubs cheap

Years ago, when this was a new development and pretty empty as far as tree's, a few of my neighbors got together and ordered tree's together to save cost. I've also heard they found an ad in the paper in classified section from a grower and he delivered. Isn't Barton's in Edison? karen

o

That's a shame, sorry to hear about it. I'm a plumber and when I used to work for a guy who did sewer replacements I would dig up the plants and bushes for the homeowner and set them aside in a nice shady place so I could return them when we were done. Can't you get a landscapers to do that for you?

o

I LIKE GASKO'S FAMILY NURSERY

o

nullium prandium gratuitum......

(there are no free lunches)

Though Gasko's is inexpensive. Nothing out of the ordinary, but you get a lot for your $$$$

o

• Posted by mprats z6NJ Plainfield (My Page) on
    Wed, May 17, 06 at 15:30

Barton's prices are prohibitive, especially since I think they are marked up for the public as they give a different price to landscapers, who supposedly are most of their business...
The cheapest source of bushes may be the Piscataway WalMart, they have a good garden center.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here