Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to plant my glad bulbs?

Posted by britvoice 6/NJ (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 05 at 21:26

I've been very impressed with those of you here who've kept Glads going perennially without digging them up. I recently ordered 10 bulbs from Blooming Bulbs.com and they've arrived with no planting instructions! I guess instructions cost extra.
Could anyone please tell me the best way to go here? Trench or individual holes? Bone meal or no? I'm on clay here with baking afternoon sun.
Can I expect a bloom or two this year?
Do I really have to worry about "thrip" - do we get it here in NJ?
I do so wish I found gardening intuitive. Very grateful for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to plant my glad bulbs?

I do about the same as I do for tulips--dig 12 inches deep if it's clay soil and I add a lot of organic material. They say to add peat or sand but a girl could go broke doing that. One year I got some sawdust to add to the soil (no treated wood) and boy did that do wonders for my soil.

Anyway, if clay and you dig 12" deep, then mix the organic material very well and put the glads in at 6" deep. I have some that I've done that with in the worst of clay soils and they do fine. Mine are about 6-7 inches tall at this point.

Yes, you have to worry about thrips but also slugs. I've had slugs decimate my glads--then I discovered EsCarGo!

Good luck with your glads--they are showy and fun and the colors are out of this world!

Cher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here