Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Anyone know where Persimmons/PawPaws are growing wild in NJ?

njbiology
15 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone know where American Persimmons (Diospyros virginiana) and PawPaw (Asimina triloba) are growing wild in New Jersey? Or if someone has an American Persimmon tree of their own that I can look at to see its growth habit in real-life.

[In central/north New Jersey or in NY state near north Jersey.]

thanks,

Steve

Comments (302)

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

claudia689g: OK, will drop off one each seedling persimmon and cornelian-cherry later this week? You are still at XXX-XXX-0378 phone and 80 (Famous Author) Drive? Let me know if info incorrect -- Stan

• claudia689g
    2 years ago

Thank you, Stan, yes, right phone number, house #76, home Thursday, working Friday and Saturday. You can check on the little trees in the park if you want to.

• Anna Piekarewicz
    2 years ago

Hey guys! Happy pawpaw season! I got to talkin’ with a guy who works at the state dept of forestry nursery. They would love to grow pawpaws but need the seeds. Anyone want to donate some? I could pick up from you and turn over to forestry nursery as it’s in my town.

• claudia689g
    2 years ago

We picked two bags of paw paws off the ground at the grove in Hamilton. I'll be happy to save the seeds, but will be out of town for the next 10 days.

• Anna Piekarewicz
    2 years ago

That’s ok, Claudia. I will pick up whenever it works for you.

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

Hi Anna, would be happy to supply you with 50 seedlings growing in 12-oz disposable PETE water bottles. Have a lot more in-ground, but wouldn't want to lose the soil! I am in Hamilton, NJ not far from Claudia.

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

Anna again, also have many cornelian-cherry seedlings available.

• Anna Piekarewicz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Stan, thanks so much. Forestry is specifically looking for seeds to grow themselves and I myself still have 10+ seedlings to plant on my property too!

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

Well, I've put a few hundred corneliancherry seeds into soil; if it's a spp. they'd like I can easily dig 'em up and send them along. We won't be back in Hamilton until Oct. 24. Let me know.

• manisha p
    2 years ago

Hi Stan,

do you sell pawpaws? am interested in both the fruits and seedlings if you sell them. My twins loved the fruit when a friend of our shared a couple fruits with us.

thanks!

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

Hello Manisha P.,

I'm away until Oct 24 or so. (Will have pawpaw seedlings available then, but they may have dropped leaves and gone winter-dormant by then. You'd be better off waiting until they leaf out next May, perhaps.) I'll have oodles of deep-frozen pawpaw fruit available; sorry I'm not around to offer fresh fruit. I don't generally sell, but do give away or exchange plant materials. Check back around Oct. 24, my direct email is stanton.deriel@yahoo.com.

• alevick
    2 years ago

I found some pawpaws near me. The They are nice sized but still very hard. how long does it take for them to ripen?

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

Hi Andi, they ripen on the tree, or not at all. Watch and wait! Or, you could come raid some of mine; am away at present but you know where I live. I think my trees will still be dropping them, they were 3 weeks ago.

• Kate Fresso
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi @stan_in_hamilton_nj! I recently discovered pawpaws and I've been obsessing for a couple weeks trying to find some. I found the four trees in the park in Monmouth County and there were only black mushy rotting ones on the ground. I decided not to taste those. Haha! I would love to come try a pawpaw if your trees still have fruit. I'm still searching in the wild, too.

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

Hi Kate, probably too late to find any in the wild. I'm away, back briefly next Tuesday, then away again. I'll get in touch when back Oct 25.

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

Kate again, you might try the patch near Hamilton Marketplace Shopping mall. Park in the small plaza SE of intersection of Horizon Center Blvd and Horizon Blvd (note: opposite side of US-130 from the mall). Walk out towards US-130, turn right down the grassy swale outside the jughandle. You will recognize two blocks of paw paws on your right. Watch out for poison ivy!

• manisha p
    2 years ago

Hello Stan,

thank you, i will contact you maybe when you are back or next spring for the seedlings.

• claudia689g
    2 years ago

I think the grove at Hamilton Marketplace is all done. We picked up fruit there three weeks ago. There were not many left on the trees then.

• steve_nj
    2 years ago

Kate, My trees bear large fruit. If only I could keep small animals from taking them! I have suckers you can dig in spring. I'm in Willingboro.

• Joanne Daniels-Finegold
    2 years ago

Hi Stan_in_Hamilton_NJ, I live in MA, but I'd like my sister in NJ to try some pawpaws. Is it ok to give your #?

• Anna Piekarewicz
    2 years ago

Hey Claudia if you still have the pawpaw seeds saved, I would love to make plans to pick them up from you and deliver to the dept of forestry

• claudia689g
    2 years ago

Hi Anna, yes, I have seeds you can have (just planted a lot of them in a local park today). Send me an email at claudia689g@gmail.com,so we can arrange pickup.

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

Joanne, Sure. We'll be back in town coming Monday; have plenty of frozen paw paws!

• claudia689g
    2 years ago

Stan, I've sent you an email.

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    2 years ago

Claudia -- no email arrived! -- stanton.deriel@yahoo.com

• Tom Crooks
    2 years ago

Hi everyone. Im not on here but found this thread via Google. I am looking to plant some seedlings or transplants for Paw Paws any info and help would be greatly appreciated. Im in Fair Haven. Email is best, tcrooks88@gmail.com

• John Mamoun
    last year

White Meadow Lake in Rockaway, NJ. At Beach 1 there is a small basketball court. There are a few pawpaw trees growing around the perimeter of the basketball court.

• claudia689g
    last year

Nice. Did you see any fruit on them? The trees at my daughter's house are bearing for the first time (planted as 2 or 3 year old seedlings in 2017)

• Fzr pl
    last year

Hi, I'm in South Jersey and I'm also interested in paw paws. Any nurseries carry them?

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    last year

Hi Fzr pl,

Nurseries would only offer paw paw trees during the spring-fall seasons. Not much even open this time of year. Tony's Nursery on US-130 (opens in April) has some fruit tree stock. If you want grafted cultivars, it's big mail-order nurseries (One Green World, Stark, etc). BUT probably back-ordered! If you wanted to put in many, you could plant seedlings (or seeds) whenever available. I'm in Hamilton, next to Trenton, and can offer you rooted seedlings, limited numbers gratis. Suggestion: plant diverse. That way you are more likely to have some kind of fruit every year, what with spring weather, pollinators, drought, pathogens, parasites, etc.

• steve_nj
    last year

I can dig suckers of large fruited trees in April. You'll need 2 different clones for good fruit set.

• André Vermeulen
    last year

I have seedlings that I grew from fruit that I got from Steve. I live in Voorhees, South Jersey. You will need a different variety to go with them, since they are all the same hybrid. But you can have 3 or 4 for free if you are okay with waiting for them to grow up.

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    last year

Hi Andre, if they're seedlings (each from a different seed) they are not identical. Even if they came from the same tree1 x tree2 crossing, in the same fruit. They each have different assortment of the parents' genes, and they should be cross-fertile (though not extremely genetically diverse, it's true).

• Nilay Shah
    last year

Hello Stan, I visited your place in 2020 and got couple of seedlings but onlynone of then survived. ita about 3 ft tall now. would lovw to plant more but thinking if i should go with a cultivar or get another wild variety ? let me know your thoughts. i would be honored if you could stop by at my place and see what ice done sofar.

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    last year

Hi Nilay, my notes indicate you visited on 11 SEP 2020 or thenabouts but not what species you took. If paw paw, I have plenty of seedlings, but it's good to have quality varieties too (higher flesh:seed ratio). Cornelian-cherry, domestic plum (will get black knot!), and ginkgo, a few. Goji, blackberries, Schisandra chinensis, golden currant (R. aurum), a few. Currently no D. Virginiana persimmon, but likely more sprouting by-and-by. Likewise, hoping for English walnut seedlings to sprout. And oodles of domestic- and wildflowers. Call or text me with your contact information; no hurry to plant stuff now. And I'd love to see your plantings! -- Stan 609.731.3882 stanton.deriel@yahoo.com

• Muneeb Ahsan
    11 months ago

Hello Steve,

I'm not sure about the specific locations of wild American persimmons (Diospyros virginiana) and PawPaw (Asimina triloba) in New Jersey or nearby areas. However, you may try contacting local botanical gardens, nature preserves, or state parks in central or north New Jersey or New York State near north Jersey for information on the presence of these trees in their respective areas. You could also consider reaching out to local horticultural societies or plant enthusiasts who may have American persimmon trees or PawPaw trees in their own gardens and might be willing to let you observe their growth habits.

Best of luck in your search!

• Fzr pl
    11 months ago

Hi Steve, I just saw your comment. Is there i can contact you? I would appreciate any suckers you might have.

• steve_nj
    11 months ago

Give me a call. 856-745-5591

• HU-507547112
    11 months ago

Steve, Stan... and everyone else. I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread. I have been trying to purchase a couple Paw Paw trees to plant in my (young) orchard in Northern NJ. I got a couple at the Rutgers Spring Garden sale pre-pandemic - but they didn't survive the winter. Do you know where I could buy 2-4 trees? Any help is enormously appreciated.

Donald

docdonnyb@msn.com

• steve_nj
    11 months ago

I have suckers from large fruited trees you can have. Need to be dug now.

• John Rainiero
    10 months ago

Stan, im in hamilton also and interesed in some paw paw seedlings. i can offer you a trade for some persimmon seedling or a grafted PRI apple tree. let me know and i can contact you at stanton.deriel@yahoo.com

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    10 months ago

John R.: Yes to the paw paw seedlings trade for persimmon seedling(s); no to the apple tree (have 2 grafted already). Contact by email to set up a trade time! -- Stan

• Siah Jeremiah
    8 months ago

Hello all… if anyone thar has been blessed with paw paw seeds/seedlings in central jersey would like to forward the favor, i’d be very appreciative. Desperate for some seeds to start my long paw paw journey

• steve_nj
    8 months ago

I'll have seeds in fall if I can get them before animals do. Mine are large fruited. I'll have suckers in April. Email me and I'll be happy to give you seeds and or plants. stevenj7a@verizon.net

• Ano
    7 months ago

Hello everyone,

Looking for Persimmon plant. Please let me know whether you have it or where I can get it from.

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    7 months ago

Hi Ano, I have some very small (American) persimmon seedlings. You are welcome to some; bear in mind that most persimmons require both a male and a female closeby for pollination and fruit production. So about 50% chance of that with 3 seedlings, sex unknown. However: the cultivar 'Meader' is unusual in that it is parthenocarpic -- it sets large fruit, with a few sterile seeds generally, *without* a pollinator. So that might be worth the additional time and expense to procure? Also note that many opinions exist as to the best-tasting American persimmon; I considered putting in a 'Prok' also but decided to use the space for Chinese mulberries instead. Another cheap possible source: state university nurseries generally raise and sell a variety of trees, once-a year, bareroot, in the late autumn. These sales are usually not well publicized. -- Stan in Hamilton, NJ 609.731.3882

• Jesse Miller
    6 months ago

Anyone know if the Thompson Park pawpaw trees are dropping fruit yet?

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    6 months ago

Hi Jesse, according to someone who visited me this week for paw paw trees, they already did. There are at least 3 other groves you might visit, one in Cranbury, one on Rte. 130 at Horizon Center Blvd., and one in Allentown in a city park. Call or email me if you desire directions. (I also have a few still dropping). Stan de Riel 609.731.3882 stanton.deriel@yahoo.com

• stan_in_hamilton_nj
    6 months ago

Hi Jesse, per a visitor to my place this week, the Thompson Park trees don't appear to have any fruit remaining. There are 3 public groves you might try instead: 1) in Cranbury, NJ near 13-1 Maplewood Ave. (grove on way into park to east); 2) Rte. 130/Horizon Center Blvd. Hamilton Twp., off the jughandle at approx. 40.198481, -74.641449 ; and 3) Allentown, Heritage Park on Indian Run off Robbinsville Allentown Rd. at approx. 40.180782, -74.591362 . Or visit me in Hamilton, NJ; call for directions and schedule a visit 609.731.3882. There are other groves and trees here and there; groves require light and genetic diversity to enable fruit set.

• Mike Harland
    5 months ago

Good advice Stan. I’ve seen the grove on 130 in Hamilton on my way to the shopping center. Just got a few paw paws in Cranbury. 2 were left on tree, got a few off the ground for seed.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz