Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achang89

Local Source for Black Gum?

achang89
17 years ago

Also called Nyssa sylvatica. Really like the fall color. Anyone sees it?

Comments (11)

• njtea
    17 years ago

There's a Nyssa sylvatica in my yard and I have seedlings of something under it which I have believed to be Nyssa. I'll do some research and if I can determine that the seedlings are, indeed, Nyssa I'll let you know and, if you want them and can get them out of the ground, they are yours.

• achang89
    Original Author
    17 years ago

njtea, thanks a lot. Black gum is a very nice tree and we should plant more.

• njtea
    17 years ago

Achang89, check the e-mail you use for the Gardenweb. I sent you a message re the Nyssa s.

• njtea
    17 years ago

This morning I went to see Mr. Hildebrant in Oldwick looking for alder and I asked if he had Nyssa s. He said no he did not and then told me that it can ONLY be transplanted when it is dormant, either after late October or preferably in March.

• tonyb416
    16 years ago

Does anyone have any black gum seedlings they want to share?

• njtea
    16 years ago

Check your e-mail, Tony

• tonyb416
    16 years ago

Sent a reply, njtea!

• lad6b
    16 years ago

Dirr says Nyssa has a taproot and is difficult to transfer. Maybe if the seedlings are small enough its OK

• birdgardner
    16 years ago

My mother has a tree - I don't think it has changed in size in 30 years - about 25 feet tall, and no seedlings ever. Is black gum very slow going, and does it need a second tree for a pollinator?

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Funny, a friend was telling me about this tree last night and here it is on the forum. Does your mother's tree fruit? Apparently, there are male and female trees according to Uconn plant database.
    If transplants are not a success, perhaps you all could collect a few seeds as a second resort. Pretty tree.

• njtea
    16 years ago

Nyssa s. is either mostly male or mostly female, but can have flowers of both sexes on it.

I've been in this house for 9 years and when I first came I never saw any seedlings. Over the years the area under one of the Nyssas has filled in with ground cover, mostly pachysandra, and now the seedlings are growing up in that, unlike the seedlings of oaks and ashes that will sprout up anywhere.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler