Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Local Source for Black Gum?

Posted by achang89 NJ Z6b (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 22:48

Also called Nyssa sylvatica. Really like the fall color. Anyone sees it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Local Source for Black Gum?

There's a Nyssa sylvatica in my yard and I have seedlings of something under it which I have believed to be Nyssa. I'll do some research and if I can determine that the seedlings are, indeed, Nyssa I'll let you know and, if you want them and can get them out of the ground, they are yours.

o

njtea, thanks a lot. Black gum is a very nice tree and we should plant more.

o

Achang89, check the e-mail you use for the Gardenweb. I sent you a message re the Nyssa s.

o

This morning I went to see Mr. Hildebrant in Oldwick looking for alder and I asked if he had Nyssa s. He said no he did not and then told me that it can ONLY be transplanted when it is dormant, either after late October or preferably in March.

o

Does anyone have any black gum seedlings they want to share?

o

Check your e-mail, Tony

o

Sent a reply, njtea!

o

Dirr says Nyssa has a taproot and is difficult to transfer. Maybe if the seedlings are small enough its OK

o

My mother has a tree - I don't think it has changed in size in 30 years - about 25 feet tall, and no seedlings ever. Is black gum very slow going, and does it need a second tree for a pollinator?

o

Funny, a friend was telling me about this tree last night and here it is on the forum. Does your mother's tree fruit? Apparently, there are male and female trees according to Uconn plant database.
If transplants are not a success, perhaps you all could collect a few seeds as a second resort. Pretty tree.

o

Nyssa s. is either mostly male or mostly female, but can have flowers of both sexes on it.

I've been in this house for 9 years and when I first came I never saw any seedlings. Over the years the area under one of the Nyssas has filled in with ground cover, mostly pachysandra, and now the seedlings are growing up in that, unlike the seedlings of oaks and ashes that will sprout up anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here