Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieheart

In Search of......shallots

pieheart
16 years ago

I want to plant shallots for next year's harvest. Is there a local source in NWNJ? I'd prefer to use bulbs that would thrive in my zone rather than have to baby bulbs not so well adapted.

Is it me, or does it seem that there are fewer and fewer "local" places with any "local" selection? Even five years ago, when I wasn't gardening as much, I could have found shallot bulbs if I wanted them. But those places are long gone now, replaced by box stores with generic products.

But that's a thread for another day!

Comments (10)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

They are suppose to be planted in the fall, right?
    Why not just pick some up at a local farm stand or at the grocers? Or you can get them from Pinetree or similar. I have ordered from Pine Tree many times without any problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinetree Garden seeds

• pieheart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link, loretta! I've never actually seen shallots at a farm stand. And as far as the ones from the grocer, aren't they treated so they don't sprout?

I think the seeds are supposed to be planted in the fall, but the bulbs are early spring. I think. More research required I guess.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

I guess the Pine Tree link does say to plant as early in spring as possible. Does that mean it is already too late?
    I know the potatoes are treated so they don't sprout, I'm not sure about onions and such. I know garlic always sprouts in my refrigerator. In Wayne on Black Oak Ridge Road, there is a farm stand that sells shallots. I don't think they have them yet. And I remember seeing a lot of onions in the fall at the places where we go to pick apples.
    But anyway, there is the Jung seed company too. Neither company has a perfect rating on Garden Watchdog but I get duds from companies with perfect scores too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jung Seed

• pieheart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip about the Wayne farm stand. I'm not familiar with the area, but my husband is.

I was just thinking that maybe there's a source in Pine Island (NY), land of onions. There must be. I'll have to ask around.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

That is the area I was thinking about. Some of the stands we go to in the fall are on 94 just over the border in NY. They always have onions. One is Ochs and the other is Pennington Farms I think?

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

The farm on Black Oakridge does have shallots now.

• pieheart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks loretta! If I can ever get there. Between my two teenagers I feel like I'm either home supervising them and their friends or taking them to friends' houses. It was easier when they were little! But they'll be gone before I know it, so I'll enjoy what little free time for gardening without resentment. Or at least try to lol!

Isn't the Ochs farm where they have PYO apples too? It's been a while since I was out there. I'll do a google search for any onion festivals--there must be at least one out there.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

My kids are not so little any more but not teenagers yet either. Maybe I should count these as the easy years?
    Yes, that is Ochs Farm, up on the hill. I love the view from there. They have a small stand. The other farm is just a little south from Ochs - if it isn't Pennington, it is something similar starting with a 'P'. They have more things for sale. Both are PYO.
    It is probably more convenient just to mail order, especially with the price of gas these days.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

This is another company that I couldn't remember when I posted this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny's Select Seed

• joeb.nj
    16 years ago

I've gotten them at Ferris Farms in East Brunswick. Call first, as I don't think they had any this year. A lot of seed websites, like Johnny's Selected Seeds, Abundant Life, and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange sell them.