Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbirdman

banana trees in NJ

newbirdman
19 years ago

Does anyone know of a nursery in NJ or a state close by selling large banana trees ? I found a place on route 33 in Howell near Collingswood auction that has a few very large trees to 15' but thats a litle too big and no one knew the price . I cant remember the name of the nursery but this place has giant trees like the ones you see at the malls . They have bird of paradise 8' to 10' tall . My bananas didnt make it thru the winter and I had basjoo . I think they rotted in the spring . Rick

Comments (19)

• scross4
    19 years ago

Was this place right on 33? I would like to go check it out.

• pico_farmer
    19 years ago

Ever since I read the article on "Zone Denial" in the
    times a month or so ago, I've been looking everywhere
    I go for a banana tree. SO far, no luck in Bergen Co.
    I have no illusions of getting bananas or getting it
    through the winter, but it tickles my fancy to envision
    a 20 foot tall tree with giant leaves in my yard for a month.

• newbirdman
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes this nursery is right on route 33 a few miles west of Collingswood flea market . It will be on the left side and hard to see as its set back on a dirt road but there is a sign out front that says exotic plants . If your coming from the Freehold direction , its after the Farmingdale exit on your right side . I believe its a little past the guy that sells the hubcaps outside . You really have to check this place out , you wont believe the size of these trees in these small , well kind of small pots for the size of the trees . They have some nice size sago palms about 6 - 8 feet + tall and 20 foot chinese fan palms . All kinds of cool stuff and even bedding plants too . Im drolling just thinking about having these in my back yard . I have to out do the neighbors . I cant believe all these years ( 12 ), I just drove by and never stopped . Im ready to go back now , too bad their closed at this hour . Rick

• skippy05
    19 years ago

I don't know if they sell them, but I think Triple Oaks Nursery in Franklinville, NJ has a banana tree & some palms.

www.tripleoaks.com

• capumastru
    19 years ago

Right in Central Jersey, Riva Ave. East Brunswick to be precise, there's a guy with over 100 banana trees in various sizes. He also has Cactus fruit cactus plants, Fig trees, Lemon trees, Pinoli nut pine trees, Paw paws in the ground with fruit, lots of other fruit trees and some unusual flower and succulent plants. The guy is also a concrete artist and marble sculptor. Really worth a visit if you want to see what other people grow in Jersey.
    Filipo

• Into_the_woods
    19 years ago

I live in western NJ, near the Delaware River. I've had Musa basjoo outdoors for several years, vigorous and perfectly hardy. Last winter the voles ate the corms practically to nothing. There are a couple of scraps that are struggling along. The same area, against the house foundation, had masses of Canna indica 'Purpurea' and a yellow-flowered alstromeria that also wintered over. The canna was so thick it looked like a jungle, and you know how alstromeria (mis)behaves. Well, the alstormeria is completely gone and there is one teeny little piece of my beautiful purple-leafed canna coming back.

I will find a recipe for vole canapes on toast.

Into the Woods

• Greg_W
    19 years ago

Last year I saw Musa basjoo in the houseplants dept at both Home Depot and Wal-Mart for approx $10.00 for a 3' high plant. I havenÂt noticed any this year though.

Greg
    Point Pleasant, NJ

• tiarella
    19 years ago

I know the place on Riva Ave. but didn't know that he sold any plants. I thought it was just a hobby gone wild! Do you know anyone like that? Hey, you looking at me? I will have to check out the spot near Collingswood. Tropicals and orchids are some of my favorite plants. Last year I discovered aroids.

• pew63
    19 years ago

I was at Stony Brook Gardens in Pennington recently and they have a small selection of banana trees, 3-4 feet tall. You might want to check to see if they still have any left.

pew63

• redbeard92
    19 years ago

Pico farmer,

There's a nursery on Old Hook Road in Westwood that has sizeable Basjoo, Sikkimensis, and Ensete. Actually they have a huge potted Ensete ventricosim sitting in the parking lot.

Rob

• skatayama
    19 years ago

Is the place on rt 33 called Roehrs?
    Sheila

• newbirdman
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes Sheila , its spelled something like that . I was there agin about a month ago . You have to check out the house plant room . They have cactus to the ceiling , 8 feet tall and some plants I've never seen before . The only problem is they dont put any prices on anything . Make sure you look poor when you get there , maybe they'll sell it cheaper , lol . Rick

• Greg_W
    19 years ago

Here's a link to thier website:

Here is a link that might be useful: Roehr's

• skatayama
    19 years ago

Hey, it's me again!

Is the place in East Brunswick still around? I've got my little pond up and now its time to start seriously taking care of the backyard.

Sheila

• cleo01
    19 years ago

I've driven past there and did not realise it was open to the public. I will have to check it out sounds neat!

Elaine

• skatayama
    19 years ago

So Elaine,
    Did you go and are they indeed open?

Sheila

• Loretta NJ Z6
    19 years ago

Mine didn't come back. Oh well.

• cleo01
    19 years ago

Hi Sheila,

I haven't been over there yet, but I am going to East Brunswick tommorrow to see my sister. I will check it out and let you know.

Elaine :)

• elman23
    12 years ago

Banana palms are very hardy with winter mulching. I have a 12' banana every summer in the front of my house...it loves full sun. Shoot me an email if you'd like to purchase one....ELMAN23@aol.com

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus