Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How hardy are Brugs?

Posted by skatayama NJ-7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 05 at 8:40

While doing some more yard cleanup I yanked out last year's brugmansia. It took a bit of doing. No leaves were out but the roots were firm and it looked like there were some feeder roots growing.

What are the chances that the plant would grow out for this season?

Sheila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How hardy are Brugs?

I don't know anyone who successfully overwintered brugs in the ground in New Jersey, but these days nothing would surprise me. I'm not sure how many more years I'll be willing to dig up and store the plant in my semiheated florida room. I did pick up a tip I'm trying this year from the brug site. Someone suggested cutting holes in a large pot for the roots to escape and then plunging the pot into the ground. At the end of the season the roots growing out the holes can be severed, and that pot nested in another pot. This method should cut down on root disturbance. I have this strange notion that brugs are most beautiful when they are tall, at least 8 feet or so; then their flowers can hang down to about eye level.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here