Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Very Sad Time--need advice

Posted by mulchwoman metuchen,nj (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 8:50

Yesterday we lost our beloved little girl cat. Missy was 9-1/2 years old and she died suddenly from what the vet said was a heart attack. We buried her and I would like to plant a hydrangea there. I have a hydrangea close by that is doing very well in the partial shade, but that was planted in March. My question is is it too late to plant a hydrangea there now? I am in Zone 6 and it has been very hot and summery here.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Very Sad Time--need advice

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. It's hard to lose them so quickly too.

As for your hydrangea, you can move plants at almost any time, but there are several things you can do to ensure that it is done successfully. First, water the plants thoroughly and give time for the bush to fully hydrate (1 hour???). Then dig a big enough root ball to disturb the roots as little as possible. After you plant it, make sure that you keep it watered on a regular basis.

Ellen

o

Hello Ellen
Thanks very much for your advice, but I didn't mean move the one I already have. I mean purchase a new one and plant it.
Thanks
Pat

o

Either way, most of the advice it the same. Most plant which die when planted die of water stress (lack of water)

Ellen

o

Hi,

I just planted five climbing hydrangeas this morning here in New Brunswick, NJ. I just kept the plants well watered until my trellis wall was installed and then watered the holes before planting. I also made sure I spread the roots and then gave each of them a very long slow drink this am. I will probably give them a regular long drink every few days (unless we have rain) until they are established.

I water new plantings regularly and deeply for the first season and that seems to work.

-- Maria

o

Just keep an eye on it. You should have no problems. Probably it will perk up once out of the pot and into the ground. Like they said above, it will need extra watering this year.

o
RE: also

And of course, I am very sorry about your beloved pet. My beautiful dog is now a peach tree at my fathers house. A little freaky to eat those peaches...Come to think of it, they buried our little white cat in the vegetable garden. How strange they planted edibles over our pets! What were they thinking!

o

Thanks everybody for your sympathy and advice. I went out this morning and bought a "Pink Elf" dwarf hydrangea from a reputable nursery. It seems to be ideal for around here--cold hardy--relatively heat tolerant and will grow in partial shade. I will plant it this afternoon. I was given very detailed instructions about planting, watering, etc. so things should be OK.
Thanks once again for your support and advice.
Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here