Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickster257

What is blooming in your garden week of June 19th

vickster257
18 years ago

Happy Father's Day to all,

I cannot recall everything which is in bloom but will try:

Front yard--purple wave petunias under the weeping golden chain tree; dusty miller, white begonias, raspberry colored impatiens, rose vincas, apricot verbenas, gold, orange, scarlet zinnias, pink begonias, canna tropicana in foundation planting--under ornamental cherry tree - portulaca which I love, antique pansies(unsure of the correct name), begonias, coming in now is Black Beauty lilies and so tall

Rt.Side - phlox amethyst (color), daylilies are in bud as are the hydrangeas(no bloom for the past two years), and on left side - a small bed of cannas Tropicana and Inferno, Gerberas red and pink with dusty miller plants, Salvia Queen Victoria will bloom soon,

Deck planters: Lantana with pink and goldcolors, petunias, dusty millers, petunias, phlox, purple verbena, lantana with fucshia and gold colors, Tropicana Gold Canna, also deck boxes of herbs, chives in bloom, spearmint, peppermint, other plants but not in bloom

Backyard to the best of my recollection without peeking:

Hostas starting to bloom - Blue Angel, Sum and Substance, Great Expectations, Frances Williams, Spiderwort, Primrose Japonica, Lamium (new), daylilies in this area all have buds, Calla Lilies have just started to bloom, bleeding heart just finishing bloom, also peonies; rose garden-Bellaroma, falstaff, teasing georgia, Mistral, Evelyn, Gold Medal, Auguste Renoir (4 died over this past winter) wave petunias, alyssum, salvia red, homestead verbenas, Moonbeam coreopsis ready to pop open, daylilies mixed,

Stone Garden - coleus mixed dark shades, daylilies mixed pink shades (new) with buds), festuca, hanging baskets of pink and purple petunias, asiatic red lilies, border of Stelle d'Oro daylilies looking pretty, portulacas, lavender, Iris, lady's Mantle, Zepherine Drouhin cl. roses with clematis Harlow Carr(?), Astilbe, red and pink, Achillea, others in bud, red begonias,

Mailbox planting of Clematis- General Sikorski, other clematis: Pilau, The President and Josephine in bloom maybe today(I had pruned this one severely)

I don't think that's all but that's the best I can do from memory. I know as soon as I finish, more will come to mind but will add to this list as the garden blooms change......

Now tell me what is blooming in your garden this week or last week??? Anyone?

Vicki

Comments (13)

• vickster257
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Have a correction to add: the cannas mentioned are not currently in bloom, sorry...

Vicki

• rustygatefarm
    18 years ago

Front Garden - Pale yellow and white foxglove, rose campion, lamium, husker red penstemon, white salvia.
    Shed Garden- Purple salvia, red & white yarrow (escaped the garden is growing out of the driveway) pale purple penstemon, lavender and a pale yellow cinquefoil. What a crop of rose coreopsis coming here! (This was where the cleanings from the rabbit cage went this winter).
    Patio Garden - Red hot pokers, orange butterfly weed, gaura, deep purple salvia, pink creeping thyme, coronation gold yarrow.
    Herb Garden - All the thymes, pink and white lavender, catmint.
    Back Door Garden - Yellow primrose, pansies, last of the nigella, blanket flower, geum, maltese cross and the last of a beautiful peach and yellow columbine that I planted last fall.
    The mulberry tree is full of fruit and with it comes tons of birds, squirrels and a big fat doe that is underneath it seemingly 24x7. Also, waiting for my nest of 5 baby barn swallows to fledge - could be today - they are really jostling for position in the nest!

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Rh. Peachy (arbXbakerii), Arborescens, a Pink Arborescens cross; Weston's Lollipop (all of the aforementioned are extremely fragrant), evergreen azaleas: Rukizon, a prostrate Polly Hill (white), and a huge plant rescue of a 3"er now flowering pink.

Kalmias: Redbud, Chesapeake, Carousel, Sarah, Willowcrest & Fancy Pink.

Hydrangeas: Oak leaf macrophylla and another lace cap that is blueish/pink.

Still have 3 Kousa Dogwoods flowering.

Beleive it or not, I still have primrose and hellebores still flowering. There are a few columbine about as well.
    Tiarella still in bloom.

Perrenials: Buttercups, astilbe, rodgersia in flower. Monarda about to and which will welcome back the hummingbirds after their binging on the area's honeysuckle.

Clethera (ruby spice, alnifola, & hummingbird) are a couple of weeks away.

I don't count container's of plants purchased or raised from seed.

• jimcnj
    18 years ago

I have California Poppy, Zinnias, Delphinium, Foxgloves, Heliotrope and Roses blooming.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    18 years ago

California poppy - love this plant!
    Heliotrope
    rose
    monarda just beginning
    yarrow
    mullein
    lavendar
    verbanum
    thyme nigella
    borage is beginning
    Echinacae beginning

also have barn swallows in a nest- not a very pretty name, but they are beautiful.

ellenr

• Annie_nj
    18 years ago

Black Eye Susan
    Ladies Mantle
    Coral Bells
    Campula's
    White verbena (survivor)
    Lavender
    Evening Primrose
    Roses
    Daylilies
    Nepeta
    Honeysuckle (non-invasive variety!)
    Alpine Strawberries
    Russian Sage
    Hostas
    Coreopsis
    Perennial Geraniums
    Clematis
    Spiderwort
    Chicks and hens

• vickster257
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Are you going to show us a pic of the barn swallows (babies) which have fledged?

Vicki

• mprats
    18 years ago

Hostas
    Lady's mantle
    "Stella d'oro" daylilies
    Flanders poppies
    Zinnia lilliput mix (started from seed indoors)
    Stock
    Lavatera
    Dill
    Coriander
    Eggplant, tomatoes and chilies are all in bloom
    Coral bells
    Roses ("Ambridge rose," "Fair bianca" and "Molineux"; all the others have finished their first flush)
    Echinacea
    Canna (I overwintered in a pot)
    Zonal geraniums
    Cranesbill geraniums
    Sweet peas
    Clematis "etoile violette"
    Hydrangeas - annabelle and nikko blue
    allium
    chives
    catmint
    privet
    snapdragons

And I think that's it.

• rustygatefarm
    18 years ago

Sorry to be off-topic - but all the baby swallows fledged. The biggest one yesterday and the mom was a nervous wreck - dive bombing us and chattering up a storm.
    My husband said all 7 were in flight this evening - round and round in the barn - talk about a whirling dervish! Anyhow - they are all back in the nest tonight sleeping - so hopefully I can try and get a photo. Nature is so cool.

• vickster257
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This may be off topic, but I do hope that no one encountered any damage to their homes or properties following the storms within certain areas of our state today. I actually saw 1/2" pieces of icy hail coming down near Barnegat around 6:30 p.m, but no real damage.

Vicki

• vickster257
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Today is the 23rd, Thursday, and I have a few additions as the garden blooms change daily:

Coreopsis, Early Sunrise,
    Sugar snap peas, fava beans ready for picking
    delphinium, caladium
    chenille plant

• Ellen___6
    18 years ago

Tomatoes from seed have flowers,Roses,Petunias,Pansies Lilly's

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

Salvia guaranitica, S. g. 'Argentine skies', Rhapidophyllum hystrix, Verbena canadensis 'Snowflurry', V, bonariensis, V. rigida, Adlumia fungosa, Spilanthes sp., Satsuki hybrid azaleas