Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbirdman

Look what I found in the garbage !

newbirdman
18 years ago

I first posted this last month when I got it but didnt have a picture . I've always wanted one of these but didnt feel like spending $400.00 + to get one . Well one morning , last month , I'm on my way to work early and see this out with the garbage . I slammed on the brakes and backed up . Luckily I own a station wagon so I tossed it in and brought it home . Who ever had it , chopped it off at the roots because there wasnt a single root on it and also cut off all the leaves . I think it was new owners who didnt know what it was . Anyway , I stuck it in a bucket of water for a week because it was completely dry and then planted it in full sun . Now a month later , its still alive and starting to send up new leaves but only a few inches so far so this is a good sign . By the way , it weighs about 50 + lbs . Rick

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• skatayama
    18 years ago

I bet they replaced it with a bradford pear...

So what are you going to name it?

Sheila

• mulchwoman
    18 years ago

Hi Newbirdman
    I guess some people have more money than brains. You should see some of the things that are put out on "garbage day" here. Brand new bikes, exercise machines, perfectly fine furniture, etc. My upstairs bookcase (brand new out of the box) was a "rescue job" by me a couple of years ago.
    Pat

• gzec
    18 years ago

Birdman,
    What the heck is it. From another planet?

• newbirdman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well everyone , its a tree yucca , ( Yucca rostrata ) and yes it will grow in New Jersey . These are very expensive here , around $400.00 for this size . A lot of people have them planted at their houses near the ocean here . I'm just glad its still alive after 1 1/2 months . Now I just wish I could keep my banana trees alive all year . Rick

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Is that what it's called! I got one from a friend in texas - not that big and I'm so happy to find out that it will grow here!

Rick - did you know that there is a banana which is hardy to zone 6? Musa Basjoo. You have to mulch it and wrap it in plastic where I'm at, but you DON'T have to dig it up and bring it inside!

Ellen

• bonnie_2006
    16 years ago

These grow wild in San Antonio.If you want a baby let me know

• azzelda
    16 years ago

Hi Bonnie, I'd love a baby tree yucca! I have thought they were neat for a long time but the (big) ones for sale in my area cost $300. If you email me through my profile we can figure out how much it the postage would be to send one here. I have found that priority mail isn't that much more than regular and it would give the plant less time before it is replanted in a pot. Thanks!

• User
    13 years ago

Well, I was out driving today and (this being lawn debris pick up day), someone in a more affluent section of town threw out a 4-5 foot Yucca recurvifolia. It is double-branching at the crown and the thing is enormous (trunk over 6 inches in diameter). I did a double take in the car, drove in reverse and dropped it into the car and drove away with the trunk open. I took me all of 15 minutes to clean up the lowest dead leaves but the vast majority of the plant was covered with green, healthy leaves. I planted in in the front where it'll be year-round sun in a southern exposure. (It looks remarkably similar to the tropical Pandanus by the way.)--Next time it's lawn debris day, I'm going to be looking for Yucca rostrata to add to the collection. It must be nice to have money. Happy hunting plant people!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville