Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick1208

Blackberries in Partial Shade

nick1208
16 years ago

Hi everyone - this is my second summer in my new house - and I'm trying to get an area of my back-yard edible garden more productive. I have a section that (once I get enough $ to hire a landscaper to trim back the branches from my neighbors' yards) will get about 6 hours of full sun in the morning, following by filtered sun through the afternoon. Once 4:30 or so hits, it's pretty much shaded. I wanted to try a berry, since I have been told a lot of berries are native to 'woodland' areas. I also know that NJ is very conducive to certain berry gardening - blueberries, cranberries, etc. Does anyone have any experience w/ blackberries that can tell me of a variety that may do okay under such conditions? I could also use some help w/ pesticides - I'd prefer organic, but at this point I'm desperate - I had every kind of beetle/bug you could imagine. My asparagus is under attack, my tomatoes have these tiny black bugs on them, last year my guords/cucumbers has tons of beetles/squash bugs, and I think I have an infestation of snails. Depsite all these set backs, I'm determined to have a harvest this year....Any input anyone can provide would be MOST helpful.

Thank you!!!!!

Nicole

Comments (3)