Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberries in Partial Shade

Posted by nick1208 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 10:26

Hi everyone - this is my second summer in my new house - and I'm trying to get an area of my back-yard edible garden more productive. I have a section that (once I get enough $ to hire a landscaper to trim back the branches from my neighbors' yards) will get about 6 hours of full sun in the morning, following by filtered sun through the afternoon. Once 4:30 or so hits, it's pretty much shaded. I wanted to try a berry, since I have been told a lot of berries are native to 'woodland' areas. I also know that NJ is very conducive to certain berry gardening - blueberries, cranberries, etc. Does anyone have any experience w/ blackberries that can tell me of a variety that may do okay under such conditions? I could also use some help w/ pesticides - I'd prefer organic, but at this point I'm desperate - I had every kind of beetle/bug you could imagine. My asparagus is under attack, my tomatoes have these tiny black bugs on them, last year my guords/cucumbers has tons of beetles/squash bugs, and I think I have an infestation of snails. Depsite all these set backs, I'm determined to have a harvest this year....Any input anyone can provide would be MOST helpful.

Thank you!!!!!
Nicole

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberries in Partial Shade

Hi Nicole,
I think you have plenty of sun for blackberries. I have shaded wild black raspberries and they always produced plenty of berries. I don't know which one to recommend but you might search all the forums for past posts, maybe make your own over their too.
There is also a Pest and Disease forum that has some activity. If you have a camera, pictures of your pests would be great. Tiny black insects make me think of aphids, flea beetles or possibly tumbling flower beetles. What are the tiny black bugs doing, where are they on the plant and what kind of damage do you see?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit & Orchards Forum

o

Thanks Loretta! I'm going to order the blackberries - I also have alpine strawberries for that area so I'm pretty excited to have lots of berries.

As for the buggers - on the tomatoes they are making little yellow holes/spots. These little things get on a lot of my plants, and I'm pretty certain they are flea beetles, but wanted to get more info from other NJ gardeners.

As for your wild black raspberries - do you harvest them? If so, what's the flavor like?

Thanks again!
Nicole

o

A picture would be great. Do you have a digital? I will help you post it if you can't.
I was harvesting them. They are sweet but more seedy than my children are use to so they opt not to have them.
What they really like is my father's mulberry tree. It makes a big mess though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here