Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodground

Growing Figs in Jerzey?

goodground
18 years ago

I planted a Celeste fig tree in Morris County. I'm looking for some tips/strageties in helping it survive our cold winters. I would prefer to grow it as a tree, but if I can't, I will try a bush. Thanks

Comments (11)

• goodground
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out where in my property would be best. Would it be better if were in full sun open without protection in front of a large lake? (facing north/west with a wall behind it). Or behind the house (south east) with woods and house blocking most of the sun?

• mulchwoman
    18 years ago

Hi
    Try the Fig Forum. There's a lot of great fig information there from people all over the country. Select "other forums" "alphabetical by title" and you can go right to figs. A good place for info.
    Pat

• Peej_NJ
    18 years ago

Hi my neighbor has 2 really old (30 plus years) fig trees in her yard. Every winter she ties up the branches in one large bundle and puts a 5 gallon plastic bucket over the tips of the branches. Then she wraps the branches in some kind of material, it might be plastic or burlap.

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Mummifying the fig every winter struck me as more effort
    than it's worth, with NO guarantee of survival. So I opted to grow my fig in a fiberglass pot and it gets rolled into the basement each winter; it gets light, but
    little sun, and refuses to go dormant,instead pumping out
    figs during the winter! In addition to the Fig Forum, check
    out www.paradisenursery.com - I've chatted with them on the phone and they're extremely helful.

Carl

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

I've got a Brown Turkey in the ground. Two years ago I heaped it with pine needles and did something to shed water - died to the ground. Last year I built a straw wigwam with walls six inches thick and plastic to shed water - most branches died to the ground. I've heard about wrapping branches with pipe insulation - maybe that plus the wigwam?

Burying it - too much trouble in clay soil.

At least it comes back but it bears too late for the figs to ripen. And the cold kills the breba crop.

My figs in pots don't die back. they bear if I remember to fertilize them.

• orcuttnyc
    18 years ago

I have two young ones in pots. I was told that if I overwintered them inside, they'ld be ok.

• achang89
    18 years ago

When I moved from Texas to NJ, I gave away all my fig collections (about 30 of them). It is not worth the efforts to upkeep them. You can still manage to keep them in good shape, but it is too much work.

• achang89
    18 years ago

When I moved from Texas to NJ, I gave away all my fig collections (about 30 of them). It is not worth the efforts to upkeep them. You can still manage to keep them in good shape, but it is too much work.

• yelena
    18 years ago

I grow Petite Negrone in pots. It spends winter in a garage. Last winter I tried to keep a few pots outside with wrapping, all bushes died exept the one in the garage. For three years I grow them, I had 6 fruits. VERY TASTY!

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

My brown turkey has lots of fruits that started way back in June and they are still small and green - they're never going to ripen. Maybe the drought? it happens every year. summer's always droughty buy I thought figs were supposed to be tolerant - which I guess doesn't mean they'll actually bear. It's getting the breba crop too but that will never survive the winter.

No figs at all from my potted trees this year. I probably need to root-prune this winter, replace soil and fertilize a lot more.

I prefer things that thrive on neglect, obviously. Navaho blackberries seem to do well on that diet.

• ivy3
    18 years ago

I have Fig tree in the ground for 5 years.Last year was first time I protected it and I am glad I did (shreded leaves and plastic cover for the tips). We had 19 figs so far and still few that need some time to ripen.