Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ladybugs and Earthworms

Posted by tupacs01 Northern NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 24, 06 at 11:41

Hi all,

I have a problem with some pests in a small flower garden I recently planted, and also with soil aeration. I'd like to buy some ladybugs and earthworms for this little garden, but I'll be darned if I know where I can get some around here. I'm in the Clifton NJ area. Does anyone know where I can buy ladybugs and earthworms around here?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ladybugs and Earthworms

I couldn't tell you where you could get lady bugs but if you go to any place they sell bait and tackle (freshwater fishing only)you can get earth worms there. Also, you can get them at most K-mart and walmart stores in the sporting goods store.

I bet you'll have to get the lady bugs on-line some where.

o

99.9% of the ladybugs will leave your garden. If you have an aphid infested plant or two, you might have a shot at keeping some of them around, until their food source is gone, then they'll move on. If you do purchase some ladybugs, release them at night. I had wedged the open container in one of my aphid infested shrubs, as low as I could get it. Some stayed, but in a few days, they were mostly gone. Still, I looked it as a humane release project. I had purchased mine a few years ago, at DePiero's in Montvale. Did you try Ploch's?

As for earthworms, I'm sure you could find some online. I have more earthworms and nightcrawlers in my ground. When it rains, look out; one can't even walk in my grass without squishing loads of them :(

o

Great company. I do't need more ladybugs, but I do get praying mantisis each year.

http://www.berkshirebio.com/bene.html

o

Worms will come when the soil is rich in organics and moisture, and not too hot. I think most chemicals harm worms, so be careful. My soil drains pretty well, so I rarely see worms except under the mulch/compost when it it not too warm and/or dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here