Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figtreeundrgrnd

They're Here! JB

figtreeundrgrnd
16 years ago

This is the one time I don't want to be the first kid on my block...saw my first Japanese beetle as I was trimming my roses!

Isn't it too early? Maybe I'm not alone.

Comments (9)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

I found an oriental beetle inside a rose last week. The earwigs are making their home there too.

• birdgardner
    16 years ago

At least the main flush of roses is done, and I had a couple weeks to enjoy the oakleaf hydrangea, and the plum tree is dead, and they'll probably concentrate on the hollyhocks, where they will DIE. Unless my son transports the little boogers to the field across the way, from whence they can fly back here.

• pieheart
    16 years ago

What part of Jersey are you from? Haven't seen any here in Sussex County. Yet.

Don't bluebirds eat JB? Thinking of trying some mealyworms to attract them, hoping they'll stay for a beetle feast. That or napalm.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

I've never seen a blue bird in my yard.

• mprats
    16 years ago

I saw my first beetle (not Japanese though) last night by the porch light. As someone said above, my roses are done blooming and I did not even deadhead them because what is the point of encouraging them to rebloom if they're going to be devoured for two months?

• figtreeundrgrnd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm in Morristown. I'm trying to feed the birds this year (I say trying because it's a constant battle with the squirrels!) in hopes that they might find my yard full of good things to eat...hopefully the JBs! I don't think I'm going to use those JB bag traps this year...I think they might actually attract more than they catch.

• fmart322
    16 years ago

Hey Figtree, I'm from Cinnaminson. I haven't seen any Beatles yet.
    I get all sorts of birds in my yard with, black oil SF seed, Peanuts in a stainless steel wire feeder and suit. I make sure to throw a few to the squirles every so often. It keeps them in check.

• pieheart
    16 years ago

I'm with you on the traps. Wish I could feed the birds, but perhaps you've heard of our bear problem :D?

Guess I'll need to keep an eye out for the JBs. They devour anything in the rose family, including hibiscus, don't they, says she who just put in a perennial hibiscus?

Does anyone know if that product from Bayer that is an insecticide and fertlizer (forgot the name, something like Total Rose Care?) also have an effect on bees and butterflies? Or just aphids and beetles? Too much to ask for it to be species specific?

I'm not a complete organic gardener (yet) but I lean in that direction and really need to stop buying plants that I'm going to have to fight to keep!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Today, I found an oriental beetle on my rose - dead. A little pale green spider was having her way with it. This is the first year I noticed these little pearly spiders on my roses. Sometimes they have a green cast, sometimes pale yellow. I am trying to get a photo.
    In the meantime, what about the Asiatic Garden Beetle? I never think about these things bouncing around my windows but I found one on my porch on a basil plant. The leaf was half gone which got me thinking. What are these guys doing to my garden at night?