Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help with Pink Elf Dwarf Hydrangea

Posted by mulchwoman metuchen,nj (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 12:45

Hello
A week ago Monday I planted a "Pink Elf" dwarf hydrangea. The plant was in beautiful shape. I followed the detailed planting instructions, being sure to water in as told and following up with watering every other day or so. I notice today that one section of the plant (not the whole thing) has some droopy leaves. Should I water again. I am somewhat afraid of overwatering. The location is such that there is competition for water from adjacent tree roots. I have been using the Nikko blue hydrangea next to it as an indicator--when the Nikko leaves begin to look a little droopy I water. The pink one is a new planting however, the blue was planted in March. I don't want to "kill with kindness".
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help with Pink Elf Dwarf Hydrangea

In this weather, I doubt it's from overwatering. Is the plant sitting on hardpan or clay? How is your drainage? Did you check to see if the branch wasn't damaged? Check and make sure the branch wasn't snapped by an animal or during planting.
Is there any discolorations visible on leaves or stems indicating an infection? Otherwise, check the roots for rot if the wilt spreads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here