Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aubade

Best plants to attract pollinators?

aubade
14 years ago

So my cukes and zuchinni are starting to flower, but I'm afraid they aren't going to get pollinated because I see hardly any bees in my backyard.

This is my 2nd year with a veggie garden, and last year that is exactly what happened - the first squash that grew in the beginning of the season just withered on the vine. I planted a tray of yellow marigolds that I got from the nursery, that were already blooming, and that seemed to help. I also tried hand pollinating with a q-tip, but don't have a lot of time to do that since I work full time.

But this year I planted marigolds from seed, and they only have a few flowers on them so far. Likewise, I planted a bunch of nasturtiums & calendulas, 2 bee balms, 1 anise hyssop, mallow and yarrow. But again, all of these were from seed so they're still very small and no flowers yet at all. The only thing that is flowering well in my yard now are a few Johnny Jump Ups.

So I'm wondering if there are some plants I could grow that would have flowers at this early time in the season? Ideally, I'd like them to be native to our area.

How do you attract pollinators to your garden during late June and July?

Comment (1)