Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Choice

Posted by cathy111 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 13:47

I am new to gardening as having previously lived in a townhouse. So I'm looking for input. I have a small ranch house with a postage size front lawn. The previous owners planted two Bradford Pears that dwarf the house and are too close to my home, in addition to just being a poor choice of a tree. So they are coming down. I'm thinking of an Eastern Redbud - Forest Pansy variety. Any thoughts? Also, what would be good companion plantings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Choice

Other suggestions, probably available most easily by mail-order are Halesia diptera 'Wedding Bells',a select form of Halesia triptera, Stewartia rostrata or psuedocamelia or Koreana. The P. Japonica I have is, for me, very slow growing and always graceful looking.

o

Forest Pansy is a beautiful tree but I've never grown it. However, do a search on GW. There are many posts about it as it is a well liked tree. Redbuds do drop beans if you don't mind that. Not sure how fertile FP is.
Bogturtle has given you more beautiful trees to look at. There are so many and in the end, considering planting conditions, it's what you like. The same can be said about what to plant with it. Since FP has a beautiful leaf and color, it should be easy to come up with many combinations that would work. A lot depends on the site, the space you are working with and what is there already.

o

Given that you have a very small lawn, you may wish to consider whether any trees would be a good choice; some well placed shrubs may be better (with some perennials and annuals, perhaps for variety). We lived on a 50 foot wide lot and did not have any trees to frame the house. There were some large evergreens that were planted close to the house and had grown almost upto the 2nd story windows; they all came down.

The choices above are all good choices. Many of the trees will virtually be shrubs for quite a few years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here