Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Curses and blessings

njtea
17 years ago

I've just come in from my "meadow" - what a mess the rain has made of it. Queen of the Prairie is flatened as are the Pycnanthemums, Cupplant, wild monarda, native penstemon and milkweeds. It's a mess and more heavy rain is predicted for tonight and tomorrow. Curses!

The blessing was that with the cupplant flatened, I found the backbone to cut more than half of it out before I tied them up. I'd told myself early in the spring that I was going to cut this plant back hard before it flowered and then went to seed because it's so invasive, but knowing me I would never have got around to it. I also tied up the milkweed but left all the rest hoping it will at some time stand back up on its own.

Also came across the resident box turtle who I picked up and moved to the patch of wild strawberries. I'd seen him a couple of weeks ago crossing the driveway and when I moved him then, I considered taking him to the strawberries, but decided against it as he (or she) was headed in the opposite direction.

Although I've had enough of the rain I do have to admit that it's been nice - like the warm summer rains I recall from kidhood.

Comments (7)

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

Well, this year's weather has been such that the first flush of roses is pretty much finished, just as the Japanese beetles arrive. So although they'll be bothering something, it won't be the roses.

• woodnative
    17 years ago

Back in April I though we were going to have another year of severe drought. I was wishing for rain. Be careful what you wish for.
    Lucky you to have a resident box turtle. Although they are still plentiful in some areas, their population overall is severely declining! Cars, lawnmowers, increased egg predators (racoons), dogs, and people are killing them faster than they can reproduce. Enjoy him/her, and hopefully you will see him/her for many many years to come. They spend their life in a small area (and will try to get back if moved to a new area). Look at the plastron (bottom), adult males usually have an indentation, whereas it is relatively flat on females. Adult males almost always have red eyes, females brown or yellow (but sometimes red). Females shells are usually higher domed, males slightly flatter. Males have a longer tail, and are in general more colorful (this is the least reliable characteristic, as they are so variable in color). Without mishap, they will live for many many decades.

• njtea
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A few years ago I looked to see if it was a male or female, but I now don't recall which it is, although I do know it's the same turtle that's been around for a long time.

• fmart322
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear about you Garde and what the rain has done to it. Here in S.Jersey we've had our fair share of rain but not as bad as you northerners. The only thing I have to complain about is some sort of white discoleration on some of my plants. I don't know what it is. They look like someone sprinkled power on them.

I remember when I found my first box turtle. What a treat that was. I can still see it in my mind. They love night crawlers, try to keep some around and feed the little guy.

• ines_99
    17 years ago

I was outside at 6:30 am fiddling with some of my plants and a box turtle walked right by me and into the area where I had just set the sprinkler up....he seemed to like it! He's not the first one I have seen in my yard. I was afraid he was too close to our neighbors property line - small boys and a dog - bad combo for turtles! So I moved him to the back of my yard where the pond is and lots of ivy, hostas and shrubs to shelter under.

fmart, are the white powdered plants in shady areas? It may be mildew or fungus, all this rain can bring it out, especially with cooler temps at night. Mix about 1 to 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a gallon of water and spray on the plants. If that doesn't work, look into buying a fungicide.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Besides powdery mildew, check for white fly under the leaves.

My yard is pretty devoid of any amphibian life. My kids found the first and only toad since we've moved here in my next door neighbor's yard last month. Otherwise, I think the lawn mowers took care of most of them.

• Mystyspassion
    17 years ago

We get lots of Frogs in our Yard and my Golden Retriever finds them fascinating; she will sometimes play with them for hours before they finally get into another yard. My neighbor was very happy as well because over the course of the summer last year my Golden would find his missing turtles in our yard; don't know why they would leave the beautiful pond in his yard to wind up in mine. My Golden Retriever also helped let me know that there was an injured bat behind the shed; she just stood their barking until I went back their and she gently nudged it with her nose to let me know the Bat was back their.

I would love to have a Turtle living in my Yard; but I know it would never stay; my Dog would torment it; she wouldn't hurt it; but she would drive it nuts trying to get it to play with her. LOL

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting