Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsong72

A microburst and then mayhem and loss...

Birdsong72
14 years ago

I was at the dogpark behind Monmouth racetrack getting my golden retriever some exercise last evening; it was cut short due to the ominous cold front that rushed in around 6:45pm and had us scurrying back to the car as the temps dropped some 10-15* in minutes and winds began gusting to 45-50mmph.

My wife called me as she herself just arrived home to tell me of one of the oaks falling, hitting the house and there was limbs and foliage everywhere.

Well, the electrician has come and restored power this morning after JCP&L shut it all down last nite with the downed wires. A plumber and contractors need to be brought in, and as the tree crew is just about completed with cutting up most of the 80'er, I begin to see the mayhem on my gardens:

one beautiful dogwood gone; another, Cherokee Chief, half done in. K. Sarah (15 years) gone. Pieris Formosa (from Betty Cummins years ago, gone); Rh. Goldflimmer - a Rare Finds purchase crushed (flowered this year for the first time); Rh. Mardi Gras (10 years) - crushed; A 60 year old cascading yew that covered nearly 50'sf, mangled. I did dig out a Rh. cumberlandse (which I purchased from Bette years ago, and which had just finished flowering (a beautiful blus orange/pink/canteloupe about a week ago, and at nearly 3' sat just under an almost 3' caliper limb untouched.

Rh. Lavendula (smashed); Rh. Faisa (crushed). A whole bed of my elipidotes crushed (Rh. Silver Pioneer, April Dawn, Snow Squall, 'Pussyfoot', a Jim Cross specimen among others). Empimedium, hostas, variegated solomon's seal, wild ginger, and forget me not's all will come back, though now flattened.

Rh. Kalinka - smashed, Rh. Coral Velvet - smashed, Rh. Redwood - mangled: all beautiful specimens purchased years ago from Rare Finds; 2 K. one Chesapeake and another, nearly 8' circumference which I dug up at Betty Cummins' property and which she called Redbud ......gone. Skimmia japonica - crushed

It's been devestating and I'm coping. It's what I and my neighbors deal with when one lives in this neighborhood and this has been home for nearly 30 years. You live in a mature oak stand, occasionally this occurs. The beauty far outshines the occasional loss of one of these beauties. I've seen it happen from time to time with hurricanes, and a low level tornado some 10-12 years ago. It was only a matter of time that one fell on my property.

No one was hurt. There were no cars crushed, we were lucky in many ways. It'll be eventually replanted; We gardeners are the eternal optimists, having faith in our ability to grow and nurture plants; the new "hole" in the canopy opens us up to much more sunlight and thus a move to more natives is probably in order. I love them and have many already planted on my property. I'll research other companion plant options as well as we finish the clean up and I survey what is left.

Just not what I expected to be doing this weekend; but it's nowhere near the end of the world, regardless of the losses. But there is such a loss this afternoon. Complete and utter devestation of a nearly 60'x 12' bed.

Comments (3)

• steve_nj
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sorry you had so much damage. It's very discouraging when something like this happens, but most of the shrubs will regrow. Last July 18th, I had a 2'diameter cherry uproot. Although there was some shrub damage, it was mainly a major cleanup job. The tree's limbs missed the house by only 5'. At the end of July, another storm blew down some large tulip tree limbs, damaging more shrubs. Trees get larger as they fall!

• Birdsong72
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Steve. But until you see an 80'er with major limbs having 3'+ caliper and falling with the violence that is commensurate with it's position some 40-60' high, well, you do the math. A couple to tons of tree coming down at a high velocity, .....well, the tree guys said try multiplying the couple of tons of weight tenfold and it's a given that many of the plants that took a direct hit will just NOT make it.

A complete disaster that will take years to recover (if they do) as many branches are mangled, ripped up and pulped out.

I will have to replant most of the area and in this economy, there's not a lot of extra $$$'s for such. My garden was nearly mature (most of these rhodies were 10 years old) and were prospering.

Now? Clearing out a 10' wide section (streetside) to allow the bucket truck to come in tomorrow (that means digging up a couple of clethra rubra, viburnum burkwoodii, a beautiful rh. yak (with a width of 3+' that probably won't make it; Rh. Ruth Motley, a dw. hemlock (they don't transplant at all) and then finally wrapping up a beautiful Rh. Tarus and hope that the truck clears it as it sits behind a redbud, that I've had to trim up; then an unknown early lep (mid April/blush lavender) that also has to be dug, burlapped and put in shade, kept wet, and hope and pray.

Thanks for the condolences, but when you assess all that I've outlined as being mangled, crushed, having to be moved with a likely high mortality rate, we're talking about thousands of dollars of plants that are unaffordable (at the size and type that I had in the garden).

Try finding a 4-5' Kalmia Chesapeake or Carousel. All of these plants are slow growers. Even if you could find Kalmia at that size, they're pretty unaffordable to most of us. The aforementioned Kalmia were 20 years old and dug up from Bette Cummins gardens in the early 90's.

Just a complete and utter disaster.

• Birdsong72
    Original Author
    14 years ago

correction on the clethra. It's Ruby Spice. That one should transplant ok.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals