Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rust

Posted by fmart322 Z6SNJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 16:21

I was wondering if anybody has ever had a problem with "Rust" on any of their plants and what should I do about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rust

Yes, Hollyhocks. One year I used mancozeb and that worked. Also I have crabapple seedlings, a few which get rust but I don't treat. What do you have rust on?

o

Well, I bought a serviceberry tree from a place around my house. I had the guy order it for me because he didn't have it in stock. When I picked it up on wednesday I didn't notice it. Yesterday, after really getting a good look at it it had all the tell tale sign of rust.

I haven't planted it yet, and I'm not going to because I'm going to return it today. I was just wondering if it could have infected anything I already have in my garden. It's about 20' from anything else in my yard.

I was going to plant it close to my neighbors apple tree's but after reading up in rust I don't think it's a good idea. She doesn't take ggod care of her tree's and they are loaded with a spotting leaf diease.

o

Well, you might have infected your neighbor's crabapple! Really, no one can guarantee that for sure. In order for the rust to spread, a host for that particular rust needs to be present. Do you grow anything that might be affected by the same type of rust? Besides that, how do you know which particular rust you have? Here is one link that lists a few strains and what they attack.
Get rid of it. This year, I didn't spray my hollyhocks. They are just about to bloom and they look so bad, I am going to chop them down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gymnosporangium rusts

o

What is rust? My flowering crabapple tree lost leaves early last fall and now many limbs are dead. I have a lot of suckers sprouting up from roots. A few leaves are yellow with green spots. I am new at this ... any advice would be appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here