Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Honeybees

njtea
18 years ago

Is it just my imagination or are the honeybees making a comeback? I've noticed lots more in the clover this year than I have in the past.

Comments (9)

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    18 years ago

Funny thing, my DH just mentioned that he's never seen so much clover in people's lawns as he's seen this year. Maybe our cool spring encouraged more clover which attacts more honeybees? Anyone else have any thoughts?

• ellenh
    18 years ago

I noticed a bee today that was much smaller than the usual wasps and bumblebees that I see. It was barely an inch long, probably more like 3/4 of a inch long - would that be an honeybee? Does anyone know?

Ellen

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's a link to an article on honeybees and their decline. I remember when the decline was first noticed there were all sorts of dire predictions about loss of agriculture product due to lack of pollination. However, I noticed that bumblebees and a myriad of other small flying insects took over the job of the honeybee. At least in my small corner of the world, there was no lack of pollination due to the lack of honeybees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeybees

• jimcnj
    18 years ago

My milkweed is attracting more honeybees everyday. I usually have bumblbees and dreaded yellow-jackets, so I'm happy to see the little happy guys.

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

I honestly couldn't tell one bee from another (well, sorta), but it's quite possible that I've seen some (alot) lately. I definitely have some new bees that I've never seen before, and I'm quite surprised that I've seen so many. They've been extremely happy on my foxgloves and asclepias. I managed to snap a pic of one on my asclepias yesterday, but I didn't upload it.

I have noticed a strange decline in the number of bumblebees at my flowers this year. It's really quite upsetting, since it really thrills me to be able to garden around them without them caring ;)

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

The past few years I've seen a bit of a comeback, especially early in the spring. I haven't seen many lately and I have lots of clover. My blueberries set fruit very well pollinated mostly by carpenter bees I think. Lots of bumblebees too. and the little flower bees.

• bogturtle
    18 years ago

A regular honeybee is pretty distinctive and except for some unusual races like the grey caucasians, the size is pretty uniform. There are many species that look similar but are differing in size, but are all worthwhile pollinators.

• tiarella
    18 years ago

Noticing more than ever that my milkweeds are loaded with bees and wasps. More than the last few years.

• MLcom
    18 years ago

Sadly have not seen one this year. The bumble bees been the only ones seen on my flowers. Have lots of clover for them to come and visit. Guess need to plant more flowers for them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting