Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
datdog

Looking for koi babies or adult

Datdog
17 years ago

I'm located in Medford. I have a established healthy pond and I'm ready to add a few koi. They would have a wonderful home and be well cared for.

Here is the pond....

It also curves around to the right of the big hosta.

Comments (7)

• chefhick
    17 years ago

Your pond looks great.

I live in Burlington but worked down in Medford lakes for some time. I can have problems with Blue Herons from November till March. I know some people who had ponds down in the Lakes and Medford Township who had problems with Herons all year round. I would often see them driving to work. The water in your area is a big attraction.
    I am not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm but I would caution you to any big fish investment. I need nets in the winter. You may need them all year round. Ask some of your neighbors who have ponds and get an idea. I've lost a few nice fish. I got nets down before I was wiped out.

Good luck and happy ripples

Chef Hick

• Datdog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Chef Hick- I'm no stranger to the herons and sadly I had a smart one hit a couple weeks ago. It took a few of the goldfish and my one koi. I'm still surprised it didn't get more. The following night I devised my golf umbrella solution while I was waiting for my Scare Crow sprinkler to come it and it's worked like a charm. Sprinkler arrived and I've not had a problem since then. I also use one umbrella as a back up in addition to my spider web of fishing line. We have a creek that is across the street from us so the Heron's will always be a problem here.

• orcuttnyc
    17 years ago

Why not just net the pond when your not watching it? I do.

• Datdog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

orcuttnyc- The frogs always get stuck in the net when they jump in and then they end up dying. I also don't care for the way the next looks.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Datdog, I love your garden.

• newbirdman
    17 years ago

Since Im with you and think a net looks stupid , why dont you try this instead of the umbrellas which look tacky . Just tie a few fishing lines across the edge of the pond about 1 1/2 feet high and that will stop the heron as their necks will hit the line as they try to get the fish . They wont be able to bend over enough to reach the water .What I did on my pond was take some long bamboo , I make an X with smaller pieces on each corner and then put the long bamboo between the 2 X's high enough so the bird cant bend its neck over . Its pissed now becuase it sits on my boat looking at the fish it cant get .

• tomk
    17 years ago

I can spare some koi for a good home. Send me an email to xtomkx@yahoo.com