Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Another deer repellant

njtea
16 years ago

A few weeks ago, I posted about Deer Scram and how well it has worked keeping the deer out of the wild currants.

Now, I've got another good story:

I've been using Deer Stopper for about 2 years and it, too, has done a good job but needs to be reapplied more often than Deer Scram. It's a spray rather than granular.

This afternoon I went to the garden to get some peas for dinner - and found that last night the deer had walked right through the tomatoes, which I had sprayed with Deer Stopper, to the peas which had not been sprayed - and cleaned me out of peas-to-be. The tomatoes are untouched.

In another garden area, they ate goldenrod that was growing alongside a patch of daylilies but left the lilies alone

Comments (8)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Did I miss the story about the deer scram? How do you go about obtaining deer scram? Lol!
    I haven't had a problem with deer yet but they are not far. My neighbor across the street informed me he saw one in his next door neighbor's yard recently. Then he proceeds to tell me he chased it away, telling it there was much more to eat in my yard! So the deer runs across the street toward my house. Fortunately, he went to my neighbors yard instead (which is barren after an addition). Needless to say, I didn't find it humorous.

• weedwoman
    16 years ago

Ah, yes, the neighbors. My neighbor, with great excitement, told me how he called the our other neighbor and they both spent 20 minutes watching the beautiful deer eat my hostas. Aaaaagh....

WW

• pieheart
    16 years ago

What I wouldn't give for only one deer...............take my two dozen.....please!

I've had good luck with Deer Out. The only time I've had browsing is when I was late with reapplication (about every 4-6 weeks during the growing season). Or I planted something and forgot to spray it. Smells pepperminty.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

You know, rereading this post, I see I totally misinterpreted 'deer scram'. Not that I use "scram" like that, but I've heard someone use it for - you know, the stuff that makes compost great. I just pictured NJTea searching through the woods with a pail and shovel looking for deer "scram". Of course, you were referring to a commercial product.

• njtea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's funny, Loretta!

Actually, I have a third product to mention, something I think I read about here on the GW - cheap, stinky carpet deodorant.

In the last few nights, the deer (and I think it is only one brazen critten) have done a number on almost anything that has not had either Scram or Stopper on it - except the hostas that I had sprinkled with the stinky carpet stuff quite a while ago. I don't really like hostas but they are too numerous to spend time and energy removing so I went the deodorant route on them, figuring if it didn't work, oh well it wasn't a loss. Not one has been touched.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Interesting, I wonder if that will stop squirrels and chipmunks too. The brats are still finding bulbs and every small seedling I try to place. I know that is a very small violin playing by those of you who have a serious deer problem.

Here one day...

Gone the next.

• birdgardner
    16 years ago

Something ate my short larkspur just like your gerbera, Loretta. I have never had larkspur eaten before. There is a baby bunny hanging out in that garden bed, who is playing the adorable defense (very successfully.)

• kitova
    16 years ago

lol, i just saw a baby bunny on last evening's stroll - they are sooo cute! they are all head and body and hardly any ears - they look like mutant gerbils! i didn't even mind them eating some of my lower clematis or rudbeckia leaves.. the deer on the other hand...

njtea, i used a similar product to your deer stopper spray. it's called "deer solution" (don't you just love these super original names..). looks like both sprays have some of the usual suspects that are effective agst deer - eggs, and some smelly oils (smelly for deer, nice for us) like peppermint or cinnamon.

isn't it so much better than the putrid stinky coyote urine or whatever is in other products out there that seem to repel humans as much as deer! i'm curious what you mean by spraying more often. how often is that? deer solution says on the label that it lasts for 100 days (i attribute that to guar gum as an ingredient) but of course if there is new growth i guess you need to spray that too..

but like you, i have found it to be very effective. we have MANY deer (as a matter of fact, every evening on our walks we have deer sightings) and they even still walk thru my yard on the "way home" but never bother to dine in my "stinky" yard anymore. LOVE those smelly oils.