Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade-Tolerant Plants that can be seeded in July

Posted by bbeyer Centra NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 17:59

Okay ... so I discovered that in general leafy green vegetables do best in shady gardens. My association (as a long-ago, not very good gardener!) is that these are generally early spring crops (not July/Aug). Does anyone have suggestions for any of these that could be seeded now? Maybe there's a big difference between kale vs. chard vs. mustard greens vs. spinach, etc.

Any advice? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade-Tolerant Plants that can be seeded in July

• Posted by bbeyer Central NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 18:02

Okay, I think I was way off. Here's from an online Farmer's Almanac:

29th-30th Extra Good For Planting Fall Lettuce, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Collards, And Leafy Vegetables. All Aboveground Crops Planted Now Will Do Well. Plant Seedbeds.

o
RE: Shade-Tolerant Plants that can be seeded in July

From Pegi Ballister-Howells' "Month by Month Gardening in New Jersey", the following can be direct seeded in

July:
cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, greenbeans, peas, summer squash, sweet corn.

August:
beets, leafy greens, lettuces, chinese cabbage

Radishes and cukes are listed for June, but you could given them a try, depending on how much shade and how dense - cukes sometimes appreciate a little shade from the hottest summer sun.

Again, depending on the amount and density of shade, green beans may be worth a try. Zucchini is so vigorous, maybe give it a try, especially a bush type. Expect it to spread more in the shade.

It will be a good experiment and learning experience for the children as long as they have some successes in there. Besides, it's always fun while gardening to test the limits and the investment in seeds is pretty low.

Your cukes, zucchini and certain other veggies might be more susceptible to powdery mildew. Be especially careful about garden hygiene, water the soil not the plants, and be on the lookout for early symptoms - there are some kid and environmentally friendly options to control p.m.

I also have only a few small spots that get half-day sun, but I've just got to have my veggie garden! I've even planted some in the front yard, much to my neighbor's dismay ... she's not up on the "edible landscaping" trend yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here