Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Sterling Nursery

Posted by loretta z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 21:00

On a whim, I went to their open house today. Turns out it was their last one ever. Woodside Nursery is sold and they only did it because they were friends. We didn't talk about BSN much but they do have some very nice, reasonably priced, some hard to get conifers and other plants. They had full sized rose bushes for $5 and $10, standards for $15 - not to rub it in since we can't buy direct anymore...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Sterling Nursery

Just going to move this down.

o

I had been to Blue Sterling in 2002 and bought a Viburnum Conoy and a hamamelis Jelena. They are all doing well. They do have an especially nice selection of conifers, though. Their prices seems to have been cheaper this year.

manny

o

My wife and I also went to Woodside and to Blue Stirling last Saturday. We bought a very nice Halesia monticola 'Rosea' at Woodside and are very sorry that he's closing.

We did not buy anything this year at BSN and have a slightly different opinion of the two nurseries BSN has marvelous stuff that is hard to find anywhere else, but I still recall buying a Tsuga canadensis 'Sargentii' a couple of years ago and I haver before or since seen a plant so rootbound in the pot. I had to cut the pot in two to remove the plant and spent an eternity separating the roots before planting. On another occasion we saw a Pseudolarix amabilis at BSN and thought it too expensive A week later we saw the plant with Blue Stirling's label on the pot for $20 less at Marlboro.

Both plants are doing well.

I'm sorry BSN will no longer have an open house, but much more sorry that Daryl Apps is selling his nursery.

LAD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here