Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agardenstateof_mind

Daylily Day in Monmouth County

For any who are in the area and interested, co-sponsored by Deep Cut Gardens and the Garden State Daylily Growers' Association, the annual Daylily Day will be this Saturday, June 28, from 10am - 2pm at Deep Cut Gardens, Red Hill Road, Middletown, NJ.

Displays of cut daylilies, as well as those growing in the Deep Cut gardens. Experts on hand to answer questions; members of the Association are daylily farmers as well was backyard gardeners/hybridizers.

Deep Cut is a Monmouth County Park, so there's no entrance or parking fee, and no fee for this program.

Comments (4)

• ten_steps_ahead
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info gardenstateofmind. I thought I read on another post that you were at the perennial lecture at Colonial Park for Rose Day. I was there too. He was a pretty good speaker but needs a good secretary lol!

• agardenstateof_mind
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah, Ten Steps, I wish I had known you were there! Sometimes I think it would be fun if we Gardenwebbers had some kind of ID (discreet, of course) so we could recognize each other at garden events.

Yes, I was the one up front who kept asking the weird questions like, they say allium is a good companion for roses - is it because they accumulate sulfur? lol.

I'm glad I made it to Rose Day. About an hour's drive for me, but a very enjoyable tour and lectures, lots of information to use in my home gardens as well as ideas for work ... and I found a great little Italian restaurant for a very late lunch on the way home. I hope you enjoyed the event, too.

I'll be up at Deep Cut for at least the first two hours of Daylily Day tomorrow. If anyone here comes, please don't hesitate to stop me and say Hi; as an employee of the Park System, I'll be wearing my name badge, but not a uniform.

Diane

• ten_steps_ahead
    15 years ago

Hi Diane,
    I was sitting in the back right hand side with my husband, he was the one on the red mobility scooter. I only live about 10 minutes from the park. What little Italian restaurant? Always interested in good food. I didn't get a chance to go to day lily day. Maybe we'll see each other at another event this summer.

Barbara

• agardenstateof_mind
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Barbara,

I picked up one of their menus, but don't you know I can't find it now! Anyway, it's on Cedar Grove Lane in a little shopping center, I think Cedar Grove Square or something like that ... there's a Starbucks there, too (I never miss those, lol). Grilled chicken panini with fresh mozzarella and fresh basil was done just right. I do hope to return to Colonial Park; there are some other interesting events scheduled, and I never did get to see the perennial garden.

So as not to stray too far off topic, Daylily Day went very well. Great attendance, lots of beautiful daylily blossoms on display, surrounded by happy people talking daylilies and gardening in general. Took a few photos, but haven't downloaded to computer yet. The prospect of trying one's hand at hybridizing daylilies is hard to resist after talking to such enthusiastic people.

Diane