Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses coming in in odd colors?

Posted by evan_nj NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 21:22

I'm in year two of gardening in central NJ so I have a lot to learn about the climate. I planted a number of David Austin roses this year and last and the colors are coming out oddly. All my yellow roses are much lighter than described or past experience in the midwest led me to expect: Graham Thomas is flowering practically white, as is Malvern Hills, (both supposedly rich yellow), and Molineux (three plants) is mixed apricot/yellow rather than yellow.

Can this be just an effect of the recent heat wave? Do I have a soil problem of some sort? Or did I get some bad plants from David Austin USA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses coming in in odd colors?

Dave,

My Molineaux was pure yellow last year and this year it seems to have a hint of pink along the edge. Even the first flowers were pure yellow too. It could be the heat wave. Also Graham Thomas could be sun bleached too.

Ellen

o

Heritage is near white this year, and it's doesn't get full sun. It's puzzling. I would have said the wet spring, but we've had wetter springs without this color issue. Not helpful, but similar situations. We'll have to check again with the next flush.

o

• Posted by mprats z6NJ Plainfield (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 22:27

My molineux also came out apricot & yellow, and my Fair Bianca came out pink the first time but then the heat wave and strong sun bleached it. I noticed that the strong sun had an effect on all my roses, bleaching them mostly (even Knock Out lost its neon cherry red) and burning some petals. Even Constance Spry was bleached, which upset me given that it only blooms once a year. The sun was so strong that it made the petals of La Belle Sultane droop; the flowers barely lasted more than one day, grrrr.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here