Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellie1857

New to NJ

ellie1857
17 years ago

I am an avid south Texas gardner and I am moving to north central NJ next week. What grows there? Have I seen the last of my beautiful crepe myrtles, plumbagos, azaleas, agapanthus and hibicus? I need suggestions of what I can plant. I have to get some dirt under my nails soon! What can I plant in July?

Comments (6)

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

N.J. includes almost 3 climate zones from northwest to southeast(zones 5-b/6-a to 7-b). You'll be able to grow crape myrtles in your area, especially in sheltered spots. They flower on new wood, so possible winter dieback is no problem. Just don't over fertilize them. Plumbago can be grown as an annual, hardy hibiscus are perennial,local nurseries have hardy azaleas, and the hardiest types of agapanthus may survive with a good mulch. I know someone in Hunterdon county who has a basjoo banana that is root hardy with a heavy mulch. Cold tolerant palms (Sabal minor, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, Trachycarpus fortunei) are growable in warmer parts of N.J. but would require careful siting and winter mulch/protection where you are. I know someone in Parsippany who has palms, most(but not all)of which receive winter protection. In large measure, you'll be using different species of perennials and woodies from what you're used to,in order to achieve the desired look. Google 'hardy palm board' and 'triple oaks' for more info.

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

Welcome to the state - I'm in south Somerset Co. Where are you moving to?

July is not a great time to plant - usually very hot and dry. Central Jersey has acid soil, ranging from clay to loam to sandy - it makes a big difference which you have.

You might do better visiting gardens, seeing what grows well here that you like. Also seeing what's already in your yard unless you have a brand new house.

I don't have Steve's amazing semi-tropical surprise paradise, but I do grow Texas Star hibiscus, an agapanthus that hasn't flowered although it does survive (maybe this year?), red yucca, Louisiana irises, basjoo banana, cannas (which have to be dug up.)

You might take the opportunity to grow a different kind of garden - all those things you couldn't grow in sultry Texas.

• ellie1857
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions. I will be living in Whippany, which is in Morris County and little east of Morristown.

When I visited in April the forsythia was blooming and beautiful! I have to have some! I also saw hydrangeas blooming and big (like I have never seen) last summer when I visited Cape May. I hope I can grow those in my area.

The Frelinghuysen Aboretum is just a few miles from my house. Hopefully their gardens will help me with plant choices.

Thanks again! And am I really ready for the comments about my thick Texas accent?

E

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

I'd call Whippany North Jersey - think you'll have that lovely rocky clay - oak trees - deer - z5b, maybe 6a - I used to live more up that way.

The Reeves-Reed Arboretum in Summit, the Leonard J. Buck Garden (Bernardsville?), Well-Sweep Herb Farm in Port Murray are definitely worth going to.

Keep the Texas accent - it's charming. And nobody says Joisey unless they're from Bayonne.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Welcome to NJ! Frelinghuysen has at least one crepe myrtle. I am a little North of you and there are plenty around. There is no shortage of azaleas. You will have to stick to the hardier forms of hibiscus unless you want to overwinter inside or purchase new each year. The more tropical varieties are available for purchase. Agapanthus is for sale to but hasn't overwintered for me.
    I don't think you will be disappointed in your choices. And the accent will probably work to your advantage.

• roses4ever
    17 years ago

Welcome! I've been in South Jersey for 8 years now, but originally from Northeast Louisiana. I'm more of a zone 7. I think you'll enjoy the gardening up here, you'll certainly find there are certain things you grew there that might not do as well here, but there are certainly going to be things here (delphiniums, foxglove, peonies, etc.) that are difficult or impossible to grow back in Texas that will flourish here!

I do occasionally see Crepe Myrtles, also Butterfly Bush does well here, along with Russian Sage, etc.

I'm fortunate in that my soil is sandy/loamy for about a foot and then you hit gravel/clay. Excellent drainage. A lot will depend on your the type of soil you have.

Welcome from one southerner to another!

Mel