Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost in Middlesex County (or Mercer . . . or anywhere)

Posted by joeb.nj (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 07 at 22:59

Can anyone suggest a compost supplier--i.e., a company that I can pay to deliver a few yards of clean compost to my home? Mike McGrath refers to the stuff like it's everywhere, but I've had very little luck. My municipality (Edison) puts its annual leaf compost out each year, but there's not much and it's gone in about five minutes.

Experience tells me that it is easier to find morel mushrooms growing along the Delaware than to find a mulch supply company that will sell me compost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost in Middlesex County (or Mercer . . . or anywhere)

Hello, I too live in Edison. Just wondering how you find out about the 'annual leaf compost' out each year?

o

They compost the leaves and grass they collect each year. In the spring, they put it out in the parking lot of the public works complex on New Durham Road--halfway between the Ace in Metuchen and I-287. Not sure how you find out when they're putting it out other than to call or drive by. I usually just keep an eye out as I'm driving to Coppola's nursery. Try calling the township, though; maybe they'll be able to give you a date.

o

I also live in Edison, is this the only place they put this leaf compost.There should be several places more near your home, Mayor Choi must be called to start more locations.

o

I tried to get it from Somerset County and they don't make it. :-( They told me to buy it at a garden center. The closest packaged thing I've found is Bumper Crop, which is good stuff, but too expensive to use in quantity.

o

i wouldnt call that clean compost..i heard that they use the stuff they collect with the street sweeper for that. i try to get it every year though..man people grab that like its money, lol.

o

I live in Somerset and two falls ago I hailed the leaf truck and got them to dump a truck full of semi-shredded leaves at the end of my driveway. They were glad to do it as it saved the trip to the compost site. The leaves made a pile about 14X6x4 after I dragged them to the right spot.

Then I chucked in all the post-Halloween pumpkins I could get my hands on, and grounds from the local coffee shop, and eggshells, and banana peels, and bunny poop. By the following May it was suitable for planting - coarse but suitable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here