Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sickles nursery/market.....

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 05 at 2:43

Hate to (in case others haven't found it) give away (i.e. make lines too long.... sell out things I want! :) ) a secret? if some haven't heard of it but I just loooove - especially as of late (last couple of years) sickles market (for those who know of it or not Sickles Market in Little Silver in Monmouth County) and its selection of plants. I've always loved their market but their plant selection is just getting outstanding. I was afraid with their "expansion" that they would be boring / too busy / loose their nice feel. But its far from boring (great selection) and is busy a little busy (oh well good for them bad for me if I do't want a line etc. :) )and it hasn't lost much of its market feel. Its still run I believe by the original Sickles famiy still. It's got to be one of my favorite nurseries in the area. Just had to share. Other have similar or other experiences? They have GREAT customer service and will answer any questions you have (as well). Very knowledgable as well nursery staff (except for this one lasy who told another woman that coriader and cilantro weren't the same plant. I had (to be helpful) to correct her.).
:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sickles nursery/market.....

Sickles is a nice spot and I don't know that you're giving any secrets away by highlighting. It's been a well known market for years down here. I remember when they were very simple just like Delicious Orchards once used to be.

While I'm not in any dire need for perrenials etc, what I do miss is a good local produce spot (Sickles is a bit on the expensive side for me). That produce spot (I forget the name) was the farm just west of Shrewsbury/Sycamore Ave intersection. Now gone for more housing.

On the plants/shrubs front, I'm a little more partial to Moulzon's (who I feel have better variety; You should check them out for August sales which often times, buy 1 get one free which is a good way to split the cost with a friend for a nice shrub or tree);

o

Yeah I know its not really a secret..... I myself have been shopping for 30 years there but some may not know about it. :)

o

Sickles has a better selection of roses than Molzon's. There is also Colonial Nursery on Front Street, just next to the GSP overpass. It a nice little find.

Laurento Farms is the market on Sycamore that is gone now. Really a shame. Now I pretty much just wait for the farmer's market in Red Bank on Sundays to get my produce, and a couple of vendors have perennials too.

o

Thanks for the tip about colonial nursery Diane. I'll have to check that out. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here