Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulchwoman

Cool Spring Causing Delays

mulchwoman
18 years ago

Hi

I am sure that some central NJ gardeners are having the same difficulties that I seem to be having. My melons have flowers (still all male), my peppers are loaded with pea sized peppers and I only have one tomato ready to pick. I have a 1-1/2" long acorn squash. This spring was really very cold almost all of June and it has delayed just about everything. I do wonder if just the month of August will be enough for all of us to get anything to speak of in the way of a harvest.

Anybody else having the same problems?

Pat

Comments (7)

• penserosa
    18 years ago

YES! I've been wondering if it was just my gardening ineptitude (which it may well be :). I put in transplants on Memorial Day. It seemed like everything took off and grew in a big hurry, and they set fruit nicely, but then everything just stopped!

Pat

• Annie_nj
    18 years ago

I think the cool spring and the lack of consistant rain is adversely impacting the veggies this year.

• ladychroe
    18 years ago

I don't know...I feel like my stuff is doing okay. I put in my veggies on May 15th. I've had cherry tomatoes for a month, Big Boy tomatoes since last week, cukes for 3 weeks. Eggplant is 5 inches long, peppers 3 inches.

They were slow when there was no rain in June. Once it started raining, they took off. I didn't water them in June (unless they wilted) to get the roots to go deep. Maybe that's why?

• mulchwoman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ladychroe
    I don't mean that everything did badly. The earlier stuff, broccoli, snow peas and string beans did really great. It's just my heat loving guys (the ones that like the warmest part of the summer) seem to be slow. I also don't water as I mulch deeply. Go figure.
    Pat

• evan1
    18 years ago

My tomatoes and peppers are ahead of last year but my pumpkins have yet to produce a female flower. Last year I had a fully ripe 12 pound pumpkin on Aug 5 and they kept on producing into November.
    May of this year was 3.9 degrees cooler than normal on average and had 2.4 less inches of rain than normal. June was 2.5 degrees warmer than average and had 1.14 inches more rain than normal. Those figures are for Trenton from NWS.

• JerseyJohn61
    18 years ago

Hello. It's My first time posting on Jersey Gardening, and like Penserosa, I'm also in Somerset. The month of May was a chiller that my corn has not recovered from. Unlike last years bumper crop, this year's looks more like an Ethiopian tradgedy. June was warm enough but, became very dry. Constant watering was required. My Tomatoes, though comming ripe later than last year are loaded and I hope the high humidity and temps won't stop continued blossom sets. Hot peppers on the second floor balcony (warmed by a brick face) have flourished despite their small pots. Thanks and talk more soon JJ61

• wardw
    18 years ago

My tomatoes are a bit behind. That being said there have been worse years. Since I don't grow any early tomatoes, never found one I liked, I don't really expect much of a harvest until August. I'm also a little concerned about our recent hot weather. Over a certain temperature tomato blossoms will abort, and I believe we reached those temperatures. In any case my heirloom varieties do not have a heavy set this year, and this may be attributable to their later than usual transplant date.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH