Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plove53

Tomatoes are small

plove53
18 years ago

I live in Bergen County so far the tomatoes I picked are growing smaller then usual. Has anyone else had this problem this year? IÂm not doing anything different than what I do normally.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• njtea
    18 years ago

I'm having the same experience - I've got 4 tomato plants, 2 Brandywine Sudduth and 2 Dr. Wyche's. There are fruits on one of each and nothing on the other two. The Brandywines are of pretty good size but the Dr. Wyche's are very small.

• wardw
    18 years ago

This happens to me almost every year, and it's random. That's why I grow a bunch of different varieties. You just never know who the runt is going to be from year to year. And by the time you know, it's too late to do anything about it.

• mulchwoman
    18 years ago

Ditto here--
    I had one really large tomato that ripened this week and it was unusually large for a Celebrity. The other plants have a lot of tomatoes (still green, also Celebrity) which are small even for that variety.
    Must be the weather.
    Pat

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

I wouldn't notice on most of mine since they're first timers for me, but my one of my favorites, "Juliet" are actually larger than usual.

• jerseyjohn
    18 years ago

We also grow alot of varieties, and have learned that when seed suppliers advise info like size/productivity/days to maturity, etc..they are generalizing !

So it's a mystery each year !

John

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

My tomatoes are small, and few.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Right now, I can't tell my cherry tomatoes from the others -all except Sungold which is starting to ripen. I'm not expecting anything much this year. I started late and I planted late and haven't been watering enough.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Same as Loretta here. Even small eggplant. I think I'm going into the "baby vegetable" market without even trying!

• goodground
    18 years ago

I'm surprised by all your responses. I live in North Jersey. This was my first year planting and I will cut the amount of plants in half next year because of the abundant harvest. My tomatoes have been large and heavy. Yesterday I gave away four heavy bags of tomatoes to friends and have another 3 in my kitchen. And the sunny terraced garden is still loaded. They have been producing steadily for some time now. I never realized that I would get so many cherry tomatoes from one plant. They just keep on giving. I planted mostly big boy and a couple of heirlooms. I can't wait to see what happens on a good year :)

• plove53
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Now a few bigger toms are growing. I have picked a bunch of toms already The celebrities, and early girls just seemed a little smaller this year. But my Hot Pepper seem to be extra hot this year :)

My Tom list
    Big Boy
    Beefsteak
    Early Girl
    Celebrity
    Sweets 100

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

I have had 2 lb. Mortgage lifters, pound and half Brandywine,Big Beef,Kellog's Breakfast and more.All the tomatoes are BIG this year except quantity is down do to high temps blossoms don't form.That's the reason for the bigger tomatoes this year.Plus alot of compost and cow manure[6inches of it as a topdressing]. Life is good in Jersey Tomatoeland...As a side note-I harvested watermelons and cantaloupes in mid July having the best crop since 1998.They love this heat.......

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    18 years ago

I planted late this year cause it was so cold. Just started harvesting and they're smaller than usual. Maybe the heat is making them ripen before they get a chance to grow any larger?

• mulchwoman
    18 years ago

Hi
    My tomatoes are now catching up to normal size. A fair harvest, despite an onslaught of wilt.
    Pat

• JerseyJohn61
    18 years ago

My tomato crop this year is nearly as abundant as it was last year, which was a much better growing season(temps and rainfall wise). However, I have noticed that the Brandywine Sudduth are about 1/3 smaller than last years and have stopped setting long ago with the tropic-like weather.
    JJ61

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks