Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Heads Up: Weird Summer of 09 To Continue!

User
14 years ago

Don't shoot the messenger, but apparently our weird summer is about to continue. Over ten inches of rain in June and hardly any sun at all. Now, according to the National Weather Service we have another "anomalous" weather pattern about to develop. The Bermuda high, which so far has been unusually far south is building and moving to a more normal Mid-Atlantic position. Very humid, tropical air is about to move into the Northeast. At the same time, an unusually cold pocket of air is settling into the Ohio Valley. New Jersey will be getting a consistent flow of very humid air out of the deep tropics. There is even the hint of a tropical depression or storm looking to perhaps get its act together for later in the week then move up the coast. With or without it, the next week promises to be another soaker. Do any gardeners remember dealing with such a crappy Summer in the past?! Still, it might be a good time to transplant trees and shrubs as you shouldn't have to do any watering. Get out and enjoy the SUN and low humidity today--it won't last long!

Comments (6)

• flattie_2008
    14 years ago

Do any gardeners remember dealing with such a crappy Summer in the past?!

Oh yeah. I'm in my mid 40s and have lived within the same 10 mile radius my entire life. We're good for a summer like this about once every 10 years - the last time, IIRC, was in the late 90s when the media couldn't stop with the El Nino/La Nina drumbeat.

The nice thing about this summer has been that I've been able to keep the windows open and the AC off. I also do a lot of container plantings on my deck and have only had to do some very selective watering there this season. And my garden overall is doing very well considering.

Now, according to the National Weather Service we have another "anomalous" weather pattern about to develop.

Still, it might be a good time to transplant trees and shrubs as you shouldn't have to do any watering.

If I had a dollar for every time the NWS gets the marine forecast wrong, I'd be a very rich individual (hint: I spend a lot of time on the water). ;-)

I understand where you're coming from on getting a jump on transplanting, but my advice would be to wait until early September. It's still July, and I wouldn't want to chance getting stuck if August actually decides to behave like summer around here.

• mprats
    14 years ago

I for one am not complaining: my garden has been the lushest, most amazing it has ever been.

• tracey_nj6
    14 years ago

LOL; I'm not going to complain either.
    My Maltese Crosses (between 2'-3') that are normally floppy after one rain are 4'-6' and the sturdiest they've ever been; barely a flopper.
    Some of my normally shorter buddleias (5') are 10'.
    I have tomatoes
    I have peppers.
    My water bill is low.
    Most of my swamp milkweeds are tall & gorgeous.
    I had a bunch of black swallowtail butterflies that I released already this year. I have 14 monarch cats in various stages.

The only thing suffering in my yard are Yvonne's salvias; they're still under 1', but everything else is huge.
    The butterfly numbers are drastically lower this year than ever, but I'm still getting some eggs to rear, so I'm happy.
    I still must keep the AC going because my allergies have been the worst ever, every day, every night.

All things considered, I'll take the rain!

• tinylady
    14 years ago

The summer has been a strange one. I don't mind the evening temp's but I would like to see some more sun. I too have not turned on the AC except in my husbands shop which is 14x36. He needs to run it once in a while to get the moisture off the machines. But still my electric bill is high.It was 230.00 last month. That does not include my gas bill.Which with the cooler nights it is costing me more to heat the pool. But if I can have the luxury when I come home late at night from work and get in it, I will pay the higher gas bill.

• mulchwoman
    14 years ago

Here's what's happening with me.
    I am loaded with tomatoes--all still green--but for the first time ever, a lot of them have cracks. Probably from the every other day deluges.
    Only got one pepper each from my plants--I think the blossoms were knocked off by the torrential rains. Hope to get more blossoms.
    Ditto my eggplant. Have had only one blossom--now there are 3 new ones. Hope to get something there too.
    My bush squash is loaded with blossoms, but all are male so far.
    This weather feels more like late September than mid August.
    Was 54 degrees here this morning.
    Pat

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a feeling the weirdness is going to continue well into the Fall with way above normal temperatures (and maybe drought), so those tomatoes may still have plenty of heat to ripen. PS., Believe it or not, one of the very best pasta sauces I make, uses green tomatoes as a base and there's always fried green tomatoes.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz