Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darrel Apps - Woodside Nursery

Posted by loretta z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 2, 06 at 9:27

Did anyone else hit the openhouse yesterday? It is the one day a year where Darrel Apps opens his entire garden to the public though parts of it are open other days. I almost didn't go because it's so far for me but my relative wasn't put off, so we went. Glad I did because I understand Darrel Apps is going to retire after next year and though daylillies aren't a favorite, it was still spectacular. I will try to follow through with pics this weekend. There are few other weekends in July for purchasing on site. Check out their "close out" sale days where you buy out an unreleased type in bulk. I understand the plants go from fifty cents each to two dollars, depending but you have to buy the whole bed and be prepared to wait for them to dig them up. You have to divide, label, pack and be ready to handle unpotted plants.
We continued down the road to Blue Sterling. Unfortunately, it was so hot, my relative was really feeling it so we couldn't take it in. Much the working nursery, there is no real garden to see though a few specimens are planted around. Still nice plants to be had and nice people. This won't be open again til next year. I would have picked up a few things if we weren't so wiped out. Too bad because conifers is the category I really needed. Next time I will have to hit this one alone after studying the catalog.
We were too wiped to go to Fairweather where I have a credit awaiting me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodside Nursery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darrel Apps - Woodside Nursery

Hi Loretta, I was debating about going to the open house OR the "clearance sale" and decided to do the sale. Unfortunately, I can't go the 6th so that means it'll have to be the 20th. Hope they still have some good stuff but I will enjoy the trip anyway. I love daylilies and have gotten some very nice ones by mail from Apps nursery.
I'm looking foreward to seeing your pictures.
Beth B

o

Here are some pics of Woodside. I'll post a couple of Blue Sterling tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodside Nursery

o
RE: oops

I hope that link works like that. LMK, I did it a little different. I'm thinking it will send you to a sign up page instead.

o

Hi Loretta,

Last year I hit the Open House, Blue Sterling, Fairweather. I can sympathize, as I was exhausted by the end of my excursion. I was so hot and tired, I could have passed out walking around Blue Sterling. Sorry to hear that Darrel Apps will be retiring soon, I do enjoy going to Woodside Nursery, he is a nice man to talk to, and I enjoy the scenery at his nursery. I live approximately 3 miles from Woodside, although I have not been there yet this summer. The open house was a mob scene last year, so I avoided it this year. On regular weekdays, the nursery is easy to navigate....think I will head there next week

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here