Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oksanakazan

Rabbits came. Am I in dangerous?

oksanakazan
18 years ago

3 weeks ago mama- rabbit gave birth 2 kids-rabbits.

Mama has leaved soon. Her 2 children still hade in my garden, eating my grass.

Is that bad for grass?

Will they grow and gave a birth to more rabbits and they all will leave in my property?

Should I start do something now force them to leave?

They look so quite for me.

Are they going to start eating my other plants in garden?

I already noticed, that Petunia is gone.

I have a lot of newly planted bushes will they eat the roots?

Any one who knows what to do, please answer.

Comments (7)

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

I've had the rabbits for years. Once, just once, a baby nibbled a tomato plant. I grow lots of things that they should be devouring, but for some reason, they're very happy with my lawn. They mostly eat it in the back end of the lawn, where there's alot of lawn violets. I haven't a clue as to if that attracts them more, but they're happy. Occasionally they're under my bird feeder, and I do put down cracked corn for them, which they like too. I've seen them in my beds, but knock wood, they've never destroyed anything. Oh, except for a bunch of Rudbeckia hirta's that I dug up and put in pots. Those were nibbled to death, literally, but for some strange reason, they've never nibbled on the plants in the beds. Mine also like maple leaves; whenever a clump falls, they devour them, so I'm always whacking off leaves and leaving them in the back...

• oksanakazan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for sharing your story.

• diygardener
    18 years ago

Rabbits ate ALL of the buds off of my coreopsis moonbeam plants, so I didn't get a single bloom. I moved the plants to another bed. This week, finally, they have new buds. I'm hoping the rabbits don't discover where I hid them (but they probably will, right?).

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Oksana, they will eat the roses, so you might want to put some wire fencing (My friend uses 18 inch high, they haven't figured out yet how to jump over it) around them to keep them out. The won't eat the roots, but they will eat small rose bushes down to the ground.

• oksanakazan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you every one.
    Diane, your photo album in Web shots pretty impressive.
    I still like my bunny. I will wait till I see that he is damaging some of my
    Significant plants.

• orcuttnyc
    18 years ago

My property was all woods before I built. My house is still in the middle of woods. I've been gardening around it.
    Recently, we've been seeing a cottontail female rabbit at the bottom of our drive.
    I'm assuming eventually they will make their way up the three hundred foot driveway to my undiscovered country.. :)
    I just hope that the groundhog who lives down by the base of my drive, never finds his/her way up to the house and garden.. :)

• skippy05
    18 years ago

I would be out there every day with carrots & treats!
    Enjoy your little bunnies while you can!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting