Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swflagrdnr

Mimosa trees

swflagrdnr
16 years ago

Greetings:

Many years ago I left NJ and did not return (long story). In any case, I recently returned on a business trip and noticed many, many pink mimosa trees growing roadside, mostly around route 78, 287 and the Parkway areas. These trees did not look purposefully planted, nor were they very big. They looked only a couple years old.

When did Mimosas start seeding themselves all over the place? Is this a releatively recent phenomenon or did I just never notice it before? (I have become more horticulturally inclined since leaving NJ, which could explain a greater awareness of these things).

When I was a kid the lady next door had a big one in her front yard, which I loved. The bright pink, fluffy flowers were so exotic. But then we moved to a different part of Jersey and for almost thirty years, I never saw another one. It was quite a shock to return and seen them growing wild.

Anyone?

Comments (12)

• User
    16 years ago

Well, as a kid, I grew up in Queens, NY and one of my memories was seeing the profusion of blooming mimosa trees beneath me as I rode some of the elevated rails of the borough in July and August. Mostly, these trees were not planted but self-seeded and grew wildly. To be sure, mimosa is on some people's short list of so-called "weed trees" (along with the famous/infamous Ailanhus a.k.a. "Tree of Heaven", the tree of "A tree grows in Brooklyn". The mimosa is said to be hardy in zones 7 plus (I've seen them growing in 6B well north of the city though). I was thinking about them recently in a nostalgic momment and realized that I seldom have seen them being sold in local nurseries around me. I seem to remember reading that they are somewhat prone to various diseases and suffered in recent years in some outbreak. They may be making a come back though--I noticed a local nursery selling trees (couldn't believe the asking price for a tree many consider a weed). One thing about them is that they leaf out late in the spring--long past other trees (like well into May). Still, I would consider buying one as I like the foliage--and the flowers. In the meantime, I am growing its tropical relative "Royal Poinciana" in a container in my yard.

• njtea
    16 years ago

I think what you're seeing along the highways are, in fact, Ailanthus trees.

• swflagrdnr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nope. Not "tree of Heaven" or Ailanthus trees, I know what they look like and these are not them, althoguh I did (of course) see those on my trip. Even when I lived in NJ I could recognize a ghetto palm. lol

No, these werte pink mimosas, albizia jubrisin (spelling?). I am confident of that. The pink powderpuff flowers are very distinct.

Since when have they been re-seeding themselves along the highways?

• njtea
    16 years ago

Now you've got my curiosity up - where along either 78 or 287, do you recall?

• User
    16 years ago

Don't quite understand the surprise in seeing that they self-seed along the highways in NJ--they have been self-seeding vigorously in the concrete jungle of Brooklyn and Queens for over 20 years. Maybe global warming has pushed them out further into the northern and western burbs. I too recall seeing them along the highways in NJ. I'm more surprised that more people don't really cultivate them in their yards (difficult to find in nurseries) as they are attractive.

• swflagrdnr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took 78 (or maybe its 287) in Somerville to the Parkway South, down to Pt Pleasant.

On both 287 and the Parkway I saw numerous examples. I also saw them growin along rt 202/206 in the Somerset County area.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

LOL; they're all over the parkway! I'm not sure, but I believe they're heavy from the Saddlebrook toll plaza (Exit 158) and down. I don't travel that stretch too often, but I think the mimosa population is high between 140 and 150, but don't quote me on that. I can't recall if they're above the plaza, and it's my neck of the woods! I love the mimosa's, and yes, they're considered weeds around here. I planted a sapling when I bought my house; it's huge, yet has never bloomed (11 years now)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave's Garden - Albizia julibrissin

• amy_nj6
    16 years ago

Hello fellow Somerville gardener! I too have noticed the mimosa trees along the road. I think they are self seeding. I grew up about 60 miles north of Somerville. Can't grow mimosas there. I love them. they remind me of my home when i was very little (before we moved) in Floral Park, LI, so I was thrilled when I saw them along Rt 78. I think there is a large one to the north of an overpass near in toward Newark. I used to commute to Jersey City and said a quick mental hello to the tree as I passed on the way home in the summer.

I think these trees would have place of honor in my Dr. Seuss garden if I ever get around to making one. The blossoms smell lovely, look lovely and feel lovely stroked against a cheek. Sorry to see they are a weed tree and also prone to disease.

• rothwood
    16 years ago

I love Mimosa trees. They may be a weed tree, but they do provide nectar to butterflies and hummingbirds. I recall one day during a long hot dry spell summer of 1999, I happened upon a large mimosa tree in the yard of an abandoned farm in Hunterdon County. It seemed that half of the blooms were hosting butterflies - big and small. I have one in my yard and the resident male hummingbird loves it. He chases his mate from it, even his offspring. Next time you happen upon a mimosa, stop and watch it and you'll see what I mean.

• fmart322
    16 years ago

I've always seen them growing around my house in S.Jersey. Love the blooms.

• ellenh
    16 years ago

When I was a kid growing up in the 70's we had a nice big one in my front yard that died. My mom told me that all the ones in NJ got some sort of disease & died. The ones growing on the side of the road are probably babies of the few that survived. One somehow started growing in my garden and I've been nursing it ever since. I love those trees.

• klellmer
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Also from somerville, Does anyone know where to purchase a tree?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations