Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxxx_gw

Black rot on Black-Eyed Susans

Jaxxx
17 years ago

Hello-

Does anyone know of a natural/organic means to stop a black mold from taking over my Black-Eyed Susans? It happens every year...the leaves begin to turn black and eventually die and I don't want to spray them with heavy duty fungicides. Any suggestions??? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• actuary97
    17 years ago

Why dont you try some fungicidal soap.

That guy Paul James on TV uses it all the time, and he's pretty organo-friendly

Excelsior

Dave

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

It is hard to know what to recommend without knowing the pathogen. Can you describe how the leaf is affected more? Are there spots? a coating? totally black? scorched? Can you post a pic?
    Are they only affected in one part of the yard? Do you have healthy plants elsewhere?
    Personally, if they have a fungus that reappears each year, I would dig them up, throw them out and get another plant. If there is one plant that gardeners try to find homes for, it is their divisions of black eyed susans.

• actuary97
    17 years ago

I think I have the same thing.

I haven't tried any fungicides yet, but I am going to give it a try today.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseases of Rudbeckia

• Annie_nj
    17 years ago

I have some Black Eye Susans if you want some, and want to come to Cherry Hill.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I had a clump, forget from where, and it looked sickly most of the time. My neighbor offered me a clump, so I ditched the one, and replaced it. Looks beautiful all over the yard now.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living