Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlanne_gw

Rutger's Tomato Tasting Festival

carlanne
17 years ago

Does anyone know if this event is being held this year? And if so what the date will be? Thank you.

Comments (6)

• njtea
    17 years ago

I think I recall that it has been cancelled after being really scaled back last year. I'd hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I go to the extension center but last I heard, they were going to trial cherry tomatoes this year and present them at fairs instead. That was at the begining of the season though. Maybe somethings changed. One of the people who organizes the MG program also works on that - that is how I happened to find out. Also, there was no call for volunteers this year that I received to work on any tomato projects yet.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to ask. I'll find out next week.

• carlanne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information. I figured that it must be kaput when I couldn't find any mention on the Rutger's Events list. I am disappointed since last year was my first one, and I really enjoyed it.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Well, the news is good. The tomato festival is back on. They handed out the flyers today at the extension center though is sounded like it would be scaled back.

"Join us in this unique opportunity to taste over 70 tomato varieties (including heirlooms and hybrids), some amazing apples, and take a wagon tour highlighting today's research at out NJAES farm."

The date is August 30th from 3pm til dusk.
    The cost is $4 for adults. Children under 18 free.
    RSVP (?) is (908) 713-8980
    The place is the Snyder Research and Extension Farm
    Website is www.snyderfarm.rutgers.edu/

Directions:
    From North: Take Rt. 78 to exit 15. Turn left (South) at bottom of exit ramp onto Pittstown Road (Route 513S). Stay on Pittstown Road for approximately 6 miles (Do not turn when Route 513 bears right). Turn left onto Locust Grove Road at Rutgers sign. Snyder Farm is 1/2 mile on the left.

From South:
    Take Route 202/31 North to the Flemington traffic circle. Take Route 12 West at circle. Go approximately 5 miles to Pittstown Road (second right after Shell Gas Station). Turn right (north )and go 3.5 miles to Locust Grove Road (look for Rutgers sign) and turn right. Snyder Farm is 1/2 mile on the left.

I'm going to start another post and link here just so more people know.

• carlanne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good news! I just got a postcard notifying me. I was going to update but you have done it very well. See you there.