Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

An impulse buy - now what do I do?

njtea
17 years ago

This a.m. I made an impulse buy of an Asclepius curassavica. It had two tags: one said "Annual"; the other "Perennial" but did not give any zone info.

When I got home, I looked it up and sure enough it's an annual here, perennial in zones 9 and up.

Can I plant it in a pot and bring it inside to my cellar-way in the winter as I do with the woody salvias? I should note that two of the S. greggii that I could not move to get inside last winter survived.

TIA

Comments (9)

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

I've never overwintered A. curassavica, but you could try. I grow them as annuals, harvest seed, then winter sow. I had mine bloom until November one year, much later than the perennials. The oleander aphids appreciated the extra time this plant gave them, I'm sure. While I don't know anything about raising butterflies, I've heard that in Florida, where their milkweed doesn't die back like ours, some disease called OE develops at the base, and it's harmful to the monarchs...

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I know one poster here who sent seeds to me, starts them every year from seed. It is listed as a tender perennial so you might try it.

• njtea
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will try it. Thanks Loretta and Tracey.

• tiarella
    17 years ago

I have grown this plant for a number of years and my experience with it is good. It sometimes overwinters for me in Central NJ or it will selfseed readily. It attracts clearwing moths skippers and bees and wasps. I let it grow where ever it lands. The growth is tall thin and narrow so it doesnt interfere even if it is in front of a smaller plant. It is see through. If I have too many plants I just give them to friends.

• njtea
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tracey and Tiarella, could you tell me how/when to harvest the seed and what to do with it once it is harvested?

Thanks so much.

NJT

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

NJT; the pods will split, and the seed will begin to fly away. Each seed is attached to a strand of fluff, which is why many complain that it reseeds too much (I don't think so!!!!). I guess it's a survival thing, the seed will fly around on a windy day and reseed wherever it lands. Once the seed pod splits, I gently wrap them in coffee filters, to dry (if needed) or simply to keep it compacted until I get to separate the seed. Multiple pods can be wrapped in one filter, thank God! Don't just drop them into a paper bag, because once you open the bag, they'll be seed flying around your house! Trust me, it ain't pretty ;) When I'm ready to remove the fluff, I unravel a pod, clasp two fingers the top end of the pod, holding the seed in place with my thumb (the part that was away from the stem), and yank out the fluff. I've found it's better to do this outside, with no wind blowing; I've had too much fluff floating around my living room! Then, just drop the seed, which should be mostly fluff free, into your baggie/container. I have received milkweed seed from other traders, that simply put the entire pod into a plastic baggie, fluff and all. Very disappointing!!!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Atlock has some nice beds of these planted this year.

• njtea
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Tracey.

Loretta, re: calycanthus It must have been the sunflower seeds because the Calycanthus is doing very well in its new location.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

That's interesting. I just bought a plant on an impulse buy that when researched, came up allelopathic - one of the Antennaria - pussytoes.
    Actually, I made a few impulse buys recently that came up with some negative press for one reason or another - so much for impulse buys. Not always bad though, is it?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz