Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo growing in public?

Posted by newjersey088 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 12:04

I am with a non-profit, and we are holding a charity concert in the city this coming Wednesday to raise funds for our project in Vietnam. Because it's an asian holiday on the 7th (Wed), we are planning to incorporate that into the theme of our event.

I am looking for bamboo trees, since this is part of the tradition for this holiday called Tanabata. I've been going around to plant stores both in Jersey and in the city, only to find that 5-6ft bamboo trees cost around 150 dollars. Some people I know have told me there are parks and other public areas where there are wild bamboo, and I was wondering if (a) anyone can help me locate them or (b) know any other store/alternative that is cheaper.

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo growing in public?

If the plants are growing in public parks, I don't think you are legally able to dig out trees and shrubs (even if we're talking about a bamboo here--a plant many would consider an invasive, non-native weed). You're liable to be fined if not worse. Secondly, there is NO WAY you are going to be able to transplant and successfully propagate bamboo in 100+ degree heat--your plants will be dead before you get them out of the ground. If you had some time, you could have gotten an earlier start and planted some ginger or taro root (both easily and cheaply available in your local Pathmark or Asian market and both prominently Asian plants). Maybe you could still provide the ginger and/or taro among with some simple growing instruction. Good luck.

o
RE: Bamboo growing in public?

Rutger's Cook's College has a huge bamboo patch. You could probably work something out with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here