Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how often do you water tomatoes?

Posted by ellenr z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 12:06

This is my 1st time growing tomatoes in my garden, and I get conflicting advice.

I know to water deeply and not to over-water.

Following advice, I was watering deeply, once a week.
Now that we are practically in a drought, I started watering twice a week.

Wonder about experienced growers out there - does this sound right to you?
My soil is good, and I mulch.

thank you,
ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how often do you water tomatoes?

Sounds right to me. With tomatoes, you may mulch the plants after the fruits set.

o

Tomatoes require a minimum of 1" of water per week (1.5" in a sandy, fast-draining soil). You are right, deep watering is best. Tomatoes also need consistent soil moisture, as fluctuations can cause cracking and/or blossom end rot. A good layer of mulch will help maintain more consistent soil temperature and moisture levels, as well as help keep weeds down.

Don't panic if you don't have a lot of tomatoes during this very hot weather. The plants often will not set fruit if temperatures are above 90 degrees.

Rutgers Cooperative Extension has a few fact sheets on growing tomatoes in the home garden; a link for one of them is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes in the Home Garden

o

My tomatoes are mulched with a deep layer of salt hay and I have watered them regularly, but I still got some BER on a few of the first ones. It does seem to disappear as a problem as the season progresses. This is about the latest I've had tomatoes ripen, though; except for a currant-type they are only just beginning to color up.

o

Sometimes the first crop of tomatoes will develop BER because the plant has been growing very rapidly at the beginning of the season and just can't keep up with itself. As you've noticed, it usually outgrows the problem as it matures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here