Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenejeans_gw

Is it me or has this season been odd?

greenejeans
17 years ago

Maybe its just me, but things in may garden dont seem as far along as they were same time last year. Everything was planted about the same time as last year.

My tomato plants are finally doing well and loaded with fruit, but my bush beans, eggplant, watermelon, squash and pumpkins don't seem to be moving. I dont think the plants have changed size in about 3 or 4 weeks now. Everything gets plenty of sun and Ive been trying to feed with bloodmeal, gardentone and a seaweed spray.

Is it slow all over, or have I just developed a seriously black thumb?

Also, I will throw another one out there- peppers. I always get good yields volume wise, but quality wise, not so good. The peppers always seem to have thin walls. Any thoughts on what Im doing wrong?

Thanks!

Andrea

Comments (2)

• Mystyspassion
    17 years ago

I agree completely; I don't grow vegetables; I grow Passionflower Vines; well they actually do produce fruit; but I grow them for the flowers not the fruit. Anyway out of 12 different species only 3 are flourishing; then I have 4 others that just aren't growing as fast as they normally did the 6 years before. I have 2 that haven't grown more than 1/8" in 3-5 weeks. That's probably the most frustrating. I had 2 that were growing really well up until about 2 weeks ago and now they just seem like they've stopped in time; they haven't grown more than 1/2" in 2 weeks. Passionflower Vines tend to grow very rapidly. For instance the ones that are flourishing were bought at the same times as the other; they were all anywhere from 8" to 12" tall; and one of them has already filled an 8ft trellis completely; literally growing 2" - 4" a day. So that's why it's so frustrating to see the others not growing at all.

It probably has something to do with the continuous rain we have had over the past 6 weeks. That's the only thing I can figure. It probably threw everything out of whack. And we also had a lot of days where although it didn't rain, it was cloudy and we had little sun.

I figure all of my Passi's will flourish during august; once things get straightened out as far as the weather. Hopefully something will give; I was really looking forward to seeing the flowers of the vines I got this year; 4 of them were very hard to get and I don't have the room to Overwinter them so if they don't bloom this year; I will have to work hard next year trying to repurchase them.

Best of luck for your veggies!!

• mprats
    17 years ago

In my case I think that everything has been early. The roses bloomed one or two weeks earlier than last year, for example. Of course it means that now that the second flush is taking place, millions of Japanese beetles have feasted on the buds, leaving me with nothing.
    I already harvested my first jalapenos, and the hostas seem to have bloomed super fast this year.