Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulca_gw

lychnis, rose campion shriveled leaves

paulca
18 years ago

anyone know why the leaves on my rose campion are shriveling and falling off .. i just bought three plants from bluestone this past spring. two plants are in the ground with a southern exposure. i re-potted a third in fresh soil less potting soil

Comments (5)

• carol_se_pa_6
    18 years ago

They don't last all summer, if I remember correctly. Keep them deadheaded and cut them back when they get leggy. You will have more than you know what to do with in a year or so.

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Carol, I'm not sure what you mean by don't last all summer. My rose campion are doing very nicely right now and will bloom on and off most of the summer.

Paula - did they flower at all for you. The reseed themselves very nicely but not invasively. You need it to reseed itself a little bit because they are a short lived perennial.

Ellen

• wardw
    18 years ago

I always let a few flowerheads stand after blooming to ensure a new crop of seedlings, because Paula is right, they are short lived. If I let them all stand I'd end up with a million plants, which used to happen before I had enough experience with handling this plant. I don't recall ever deadheading them to make them rebloom, but for me they've always been more of a filler plant that grows in gaps and along the edges of the gardens, so a long bloom period has never really been an issue. In my garden their flowering period is between early summer and mid summer. Currently the dark pink ones that have naturalized in a shady somewhat neglected area under maple trees have finished, and white ones in a main perennial garden are now past peak.

• paulca
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I called Bluestone and they said the problem is that NJ has had a wet spring/summer and that the plant needs good drainage. so i'm replanting in a slightly downward sloping bed on a raised mound similar to the way i plant melons. also, to their credit, Bluestone right off the bat promised to send me replacement plants gratis.

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

Rose campions are perennials (not annuals) albeit short lived (i.e. a few years) but worth it! I love these. Mine are doing great. The bottom leaves sometimes shrivel and die as the season goes on. But if the whole plant is shriveled it may be too dry. Since its been rainy lately I doubt it. It could be rotten but then I think you'd see some black leaves toward the bottom. And yes they love well draining soil. Mine are on a deliberate slant/slope next to a path which helps. As per the soil less potting soil Why don't you have it in regular garden soil? (are they in pots) maybe they would do better in potting soil. :)
    P.S. these tend to bloom about all summer! :) Maybe if you get new or fix yours asap you will get blooms too! Good luck! :)
    One of my plants :.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting