Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

where are the butterflies?

birdgardner
18 years ago

I know it's too early for the monarchs, and their numbers sure were down last year, but where are all the swallowtails? I planted dill and fennel for the black ones - not a sight of them. Not so many spangled fritillaries, a solitary red-spotted purple, no anglewings, a couple blues, even the cabbage whites are fewer. too early for the ladies? no admirals, no woodnymphs, no pearl crescents. I don't spray, and it's not just my yard.

Comments (9)

• wardw
    18 years ago

You are right. We had a late spring, so perhaps everything is behind? I've seen a few of what you mentioned above, except no woodnymphs and no fritillaries. There is still quite a bit of open land around my home in Medford, several thousand acres in fact. But saying that, I do wonder about development to my north-west. I've suspected for years that many species drift on the wind out of the west. Last summer was a bad too because of all the rain, as was the winter. Might it be that it will take several years to rebuild the numbers of certain species? Currently only S-S Skipper is at all common, along with a couple of types of clear-winged moths. A garden needs creatures to be complete, this just won't cut it.

• mucknmire
    18 years ago

Yes, we've seen very few butterflies this year in central NJ.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Cabbage whites have been numerous this summer. Saw my first monarch last weekend. And have seen swallowtails, gold banded skippers and plenty of Painted Ladies of late.

I've got plenty of skippers on the property that I kick up from the oak litter as I water.

It's (#'s of butterflies) been getting better of late

• Maria410
    18 years ago

Here in New Brunswick I have seen lots of cabbage whites and a few fritillaries. Still waiting for the swallowtails, monarchs, and the hummingbird moths.

• cindy528
    18 years ago

Here in Bridgeton, I've seen lots of cabbage whites but that is about it. I haven't seen any swallowtails, and I have lots of parsley for them, no monarchs and plenty of milkweed in my flowerbed for them, and no hummingbird moths. I miss seeing the butterflies. Hopefully soon, since my bee balm is starting to go but everything else is in bloom except my zinnias.

• User
    18 years ago

I have seen a lot of swollowtail yellow and black,cabage whites,and one monarch.I grow a lot of dill,lovage,parsley,and a full collection of butterfly bushes.Also i have seen humming bird twice,at my trumpet creeper,first in the middle of June.regards

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

first tiger swallowtail today.

• tonyb416
    18 years ago

Yesterday and today, my butterfly garden was visited by 2 butterflies. One was yellowish, with bluish spots at the bottom of its wings, the other was dark with gold/yellow spots. Not sure what these were but if I'm quick enough, I'll grab my digital and take a few pics next time.

• njtea
    18 years ago

Last evening, there were three tiger swallowtails, one monarch and one fritillary (I'm leaning towards great spangled) on the patch of purple coneflowers outside the kitchen window. The pink phlox has been hosting spicebush swallowtails.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio