Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fothergilla Gardenii

Posted by gastroc Southern NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 14:31

For whatever reason, my other post won't load.

I was wondering if anyone has planted fothergilla gradenii. We want to replace our boxwoods with these pretty shrubs but we don't know much about them. No one we know has them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fothergilla Gardenii

I have a couple of them, not sure which cultivar, but they are hardy little shrubs with nice spring flowers and wonderful fall foliage coloring. They are native to the southeastern US, but do well here in NJ. They do like a rich, moist but well-drained soil - so if you have sandy soil like I do here in coastal Monmouth County, you will probably want to amend with organic matter.

Keep in mind, however, that your boxwoods are evergreen and the fothergilla is deciduous, so will be bare through the winter months. If you prefer something evergreen, you might want to check out inkberry holly (ilex glabra) - a link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inkberry Holly

o

Boxwoods are deer resistant as well.

o

The Frelinghuysen Arboretum in Morristown NJ has a beautiful shade border with a row of Fothergilla. You would have to ask for information on where this border is located, because the place is vast and every inch is beautiful, well worth the visit.

I have one Fothergilla 'Blue Mist' which is attractive year round. In winter the branching pattern is beautiful, but I don't know how it would look as a hedge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frelinghuysen Arboretum

o

I purchased mine in the spring from Pope's Gardens in Waterford. They are airy shrubs - not dense like boxwoods. Leslie

o

One of my favorite nurseries in the area is Rare Find Nursery in Jackson, and they usually have a great sale in August. Their website, rarefindnursery.com, has a link for directions; they're just a little way off route 195.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here