Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlanne_gw

Mixed up raspberries

carlanne
18 years ago

I have grown Heritage Raspberries for about 4 years, and they generally produce their main crop starting mid-August until cold weather. I cut back those canes in early spring, late winter, to about 2 feet high, and they began bearing a good three week crop starting about June 25th. This year the early crop didn't start until about 7/6, and the primary crop has grown so lushly that it is pushing out the bearing canes. In fact the crop that should (or has in the past) start in August is starting to bear already to a small extent, and the canes are blooming by and large. I am assuming our cold spring and wet year has caused this change in dates. While I am not worried about it I was wondering if anyone else has experienced such a change?

Comment (1)

• Skip_NJ
    18 years ago

I planted my first raspberry patch in spring of last year, 4 Heritage, 3 Kiwi Gold (of which 2 didn't make it), & 1 Anne. Last year I only got the fall crop since they were still getting established. I was amazed at how deep into the cold weather they were still producing fruit! After they stopped producing, I cut them down to about 5 inches above ground. This year the early crop started about June 20th (about the same as yours in prior years). The fall crop is growing like yours this year, lushly, thick, and overgrowing the early crop. There still may be some berries in there from the first crop, (if you can find them), but with all the latest rains, they are rotting quickly. I'm looking forward to the fall crop since everything is blooming again. This spring I added 1 Fall Gold to try out.